Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Open Plug-in Technology (OPT)

At the Frankfurt Musik Messa Yamaha seems to introduced a new communications standard for computer sequencers to control external hardware. The plug itself is the user interface between the computer and the hardware unit and deals with all the communication. Lets say you have a synth i.e S80) and Cubase. Instead of choosing MIDI channel and port in Cubase you choose the plug-in for a MIDI track just like you do a VSTi. OPT covers a lot of data besides MIDI Note On and Off. It can replace different kinds of editors. If you open your plug it can show an edit window for the synth. If they just deal properly with the latency issue I think this can be a wonderful opportunity for the synth people like Yamaha and Roland to get into the computer sequencer market. Does anyone in this forum know more about this? Craig! You were there. Have you read or heard anything regarding this? Best r's, Mats Nermark

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first I heard about this was when reading Cakewalk's press release for [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/PR-SONAR2.htm]Sonar 2.0[/url] . I guess it will be supported in this new version. I'm very interested in this concept. Will it only apply to Yamaha synths, or will it work with any MIDI device?

Archived