Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motherboard drivers...do I really need 'em?

Hello everyone,

I recently updated my PC to Windows XP. I have an Iwill P4S mobo, but I can't seem to find the right drivers for it. The original drivers that came with the board seem to cause XP problems, and the drivers posted on Iwill's site don't even install properly. My question is, do I really need the drivers in the first place?

I have no homepage.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are talking about the chipset drivers, and the XP device manager shows items in a "Question Mark" category... YES. Otherwise, XP has compatible drivers already in it.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Originally posted by surfmonkey:

Everything seems to be working fine...

Your fine then.The drivers you were trying to install were probably older than the ones the updated XP had already.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by surfmonkey:

So, if XP has compatible drivers, I shoudn't sweat getting the drivers from my mobo manufacturer? Everything seems to be working fine...

If it's working fine, it's working fine. :) But OTOH, if you have not checked in Device Manager (right click on "My Computer", select "properties", click on the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Manager" button) to see if something isn't installed properly (look for those "question marks" AudioMaverick was talking about) , you may have problems later when you go to install something or use something new on your system. Chances are there might be a couple of things Windows doesn't have the drivers for, but that's usually for things like onboard audio or whatever, but it doesn't hurt to check to see if there are problems. :)

Yeah, I managed to find the driver for the crappy onboard audio, but windows has drivers for everything else. There are no question marks in the device manager, so I guess I'm free. :thu:

Thanks for the help guys!

I have no homepage.

Archived