Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which mic technique is this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Martin Kantola:

...Same problem as with dummy heads, no two heads or ears are the same, and also limited by many other factors..

Welcome, Martin, and thanks for the info. But I'm confused by the above statement. As I mentioned previously, the specific physical properties of the pinnas are, for all intents and purposes, immaterial to the conversation.

The studies that demonstrated this used anecdotal evidence from people whose outer ears had been damaged with experimental data created by covering test subjects' own pinnas with molds made from another person, enlarged to allow the prosthetics to fit over their own ears.

In both cases it was found that with as little as 10 - 20 minutes, their brains were able to reset audio location references based on visual and aural information after the change in pinna(s).

Only when the outer ear was effectively destroyed was their too little information for the brain to adapt.

I'll see what I can dig up on the subject. I haven't studied binaural techniques in 15 years. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I didn't know that there was a box that could do head related transfer function, do you know a link where I could check that out.

I got some mp3 and other formats of binaural recording but don't know how to put them on this forum can any one tell me

If any of you want to see some photos of how I made the head I made or any of the polar patterns I did with a TEF machine you can email me at ginomeyer@hotmail.com

Gino, you need an ftp storage site, online. If you don't have one, ask around. Several forumites have volunteered to host files for others here.

From there, simply type

http://img294.echo.cx/img294/2775/urlformat4ng.jpg

where www.your-ftp-site/binaural1.mp3 would be the web address where you stored your mp3 online and "1st clip" would be the displayed text for the hyperlink.

You can put whatever you like for displayed text, but please don't use the web address if it's long or the entire thread will become scrolling horizontally. It's really annoying when people put links with no spaces (as a long web address is) or oversized pictures that cause the thread to require horizontal scrolling because then you have to scroll to read everyone else's posts.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks Neil,

this is very interesting! Don't be confused by my posts, I've realised some time ago that the more I study surround sound the less I feel I know about basic stereo! I'm the first to admit I don't have a clue... :P

In both cases it was found that with as little as 10 - 20 minutes, their brains were able to reset audio location references based on visual and aural information after the change in pinna(s).
Does this translate to that every time you put on your headphones to listen to binaural recordings you'll need a 15 minute "warm-up"?

Maybe one could produce special audio (and visual!) material to speed up this process, something that gives the brain the spatial clues it needs to re-calibrate itself. :idea: I remember hearing about an experiment with glasses that turn your vision upside-down, and that the brain can learn to compensate even for this.

Regarding HRTF, if I may return to the subject, from what I've heard so far it seems that a serious problem is the coloration from the loudspeaker-microphone-amplifier chain. The impulse responses are not free from these flavours. There was a paper session at the AES Barcelona about a "Numerical Head Model to HRTF Simulation", but unfortunately I chose another session. Maybe this could be something?

Martin

Originally posted by Martin Kantola:

Does this translate to that every time you put on your headphones to listen to binaural recordings you'll need a 15 minute "warm-up"?...
Good question! I honestly don't know, though I would guess no. Without visual cues to the variation between listeners, your ears would simply hear the spatial cues in their own way. I don't think, though, those cues would vary much at all. Something in front, above, below or behind you would still sound as was intended within a slight margin of error of specific placement.

Determining if that hypothesis actually holds certainly would make for an interesting experiment, though. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

As for pics, Gino, try http://www.imageshack.us/ , Photobucket or one of several other free, image hosting sites.

I use Imageshack. Unlimited space and bandwidth, up to 1mb per file, and a simple registration allows me to keep track of my pictures, and if a picture isn't accessed for a full year it's automatically erased from their system. Each upload automatically generates several types of code to allow simple click, copy and paste for use of that pic in forums, as a clickable thumbnail or direct access by friends and family. Galleries of pics you've uploaded can be created, too.

The two things I dislike about Imageshack are that their interface isn't quite intuitive and you need to safeguard your site registration in several places lest you lose access when clearing cookies from your web browser.

As for sound files, to my knowledge these sites are not set up for free file sharing of any file types other than graphic files; ie .bmp, .jpg, .gif, etc. files.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived