Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

I took a really clean 160kbs MP3 that I ripped off D Matthews Cd of the track "crash".

We all know this is one of the finer productions out there..

Finally something where I have authoritative knowledge!

Okay, Bill, with all due respect, you're dead wrong here.

I have no idea whatsoever who D Mathews is or what the track "crash" sounds like, what style it is, or where it comes from. (Unless it comes from one of the recent movies called "Crash.")

So -- on this point and perhaps this point alone -- I'm afraid you're way off base...

:D;):D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Crash" (the Dave Matthews album) was released in 1996. The title track is called "Crash Into Me"

I'm sure Bill Roberts has his facts straight as they relate to the complicated aspects of audio and mp3's, even if he mistakenly supposed "Crash" was Dave Matthew's most recent release.

Of course my own personal opinion is that we could probably pick a better example. I find Dave Matthew's voice so annoying, I think I would rather listen to a recording of Britney Spears passing a kidney stone. On a Victrola at 78 RPM with Ruth Gordon operating the crank...

Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

<>

Either LAME or CWENC. But I think what you're hearing is that I make a separate master for data-compressed formats. The specifics vary on a case-by-case basis, but usually I apply a very steep rolloff at high frequencies, and handle dynamics control differently compared to mastering for CDs (less compression, more peak reduction).

Originally posted by Anderton:

<>

Either LAME or CWENC. But I think what you're hearing is that I make a separate master for data-compressed formats. The specifics vary on a case-by-case basis, but usually I apply a very steep rolloff at high frequencies, and handle dynamics control differently compared to mastering for CDs (less compression, more peak reduction).

Thanks for the info, Craig.

Whatever you're doing, it sounded far and away better than any other mp3 I've heard, to date.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

<>

Thanks, mastering for MP3s is sort of a specialty of mine. Phil, it's really hard to give specifics, as the techniques vary for each song. The only constant is that the high frequency rolloff is EXTREMELY sharp -- I try to brickwall it as much as possible. The freq falls anywhere in the 8 to 15kHz range, depending.

Originally posted by Is there bass in the caR-R-R-R-R?:

I find Dave Matthew's voice so annoying, I think I would rather listen to a recording of Britney Spears passing a kidney stone. On a Victrola at 78 RPM with Ruth Gordon operating the crank...

I'm always glad to hear this from someone else; most people look at me like I'm from another planet when I verbalize my distaste for DM. I always thought he sounded a bit like Fazzie Bear from the Muppets.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

Away from the desk, in your home, what do you use (audiowise) for your home audio system?

(the whole system, speakers, et al)

Very pedestrian.....

Brucie the Viking!!!!!

Bruce,

Do you still have the big Bozaks?

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Archived