Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy starts today...

they flash a picture of Douglas Adams up as one of the many "probabilities" that the spaceship Heart of Gold goes through - nice touch.

We saw it yesterday, and I did catch that. Nice indeed. :)

IMO, it was pretty darned good. I enjoyed it. No, it's not a perfect recreation of the book, but OTOH, it's pretty darned difficult to take a book and cram it into two hours on screen... something always ends up being modified or edited or left out. Two different mediums, two different approaches, and IMO, you have to take what each has to offer and accept it at that.

After reading a lot of very mixed reviews, I went into it not expecting much, which may partially explain why I wasn't disappointed with it. Don't expect it to be identical and just go in with an open mind and enjoy it. I did. :)

Only one downside IMO: I've got "so long and thanks for all the fish" playing on endless loop in my brain and it is probably going to be stuck there for at least a few days. :mad:;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Nighy, that's the fella! Thanks Base!

I never saw the TV series, I just have the original radio plays on tape. I thought it looked like Robbie....perhaps they modelled Marvin on Robbie a bit? There were a few other familiar b-movie looking monsters in there too I thought, but they flashed by too fast for me to catch - I guess I'll have to get the DVD later :)

The one thing I really missed was Marvin humming like Pink Floyd to the twin sunset on Magrathea (sp?)....not in the movie version.... :(

:DTR

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Only one downside IMO: I've got "so long and thanks for all the fish" playing on endless loop in my brain and it is probably going to be stuck there for at least a few days. :mad:;)

That is one VERY catchy tune (no pun intended)!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I just got back from seeing it. I REALLY liked it. It deviates, but all GOOD movies are different from the book, and the author was involved until his death. I am going to take my boys to see it. I read the books as well, and honestly, I did not find the book that damn funny the first time through. There is one line about cheese in the movie that about put me on the floor.

Worth a theater trip.

The books, radio series, tv series & video games all had differences tho, Adams liked it that way and intentionally made the film script a bit different from the other versions. John Malkovitch's character seemed a bit redundant, but presumably will be used more in a sequel?!

I think Robbie had a different looking head to Marvin, a big glass domey thing. Marvin has a face so he can look depressed :( WHat was the white furry thing that growled at Arthur, I recognise that from somewhere??

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Marvin humming like Pink Floyd

My gf says that at one Pink Floyd concert, David Gilmour brought Douglas Adams on stage to play guitar on a couple of sets with him....

Anyone wanna back that up?

And yes, it's different from the book, but this is one of the rare instances where it's still a decent flick. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the book. It's all good...

Base, you know i'm just pickin' on ya bc i like ya, right? You're a swell guy. Don't let those support calls destroy your mind. :eek:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Big, big fan of the books. Just saw the movie, keeping in mind reviews and folks comments on this thread. Even with the warnings, I was still very disappointed. There were so many little things that could have been better. It just didn't seem like a professional production, timing wasn't right, etc, like others have been saying. *sigh* I guess we'll need to wait another 20 yrs or so until it's ok to do a remake... :(

Nothing was funnier to me than the opening song, "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish!" In my opinion, it ranks right up there with "Springtime For Hitler" and "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" as one of the best irreverently cheerful songs that laugh in the face of horror.

I read the book years ago back when it came out (1979?), not too long ago to have its elements come back to me as the movie unfolded, but too long ago to recall enough to become disappointed in how the movie diverged from the book.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Sam Rockwell played this part brillantly! It was an award worthy performance.

And let's not forget the funny, uncredited performance by Jason Schwartzman (from "I Heart Huckabees," "Rushmore," and "Slackers" to name a few) as Zaphod Beeblebrox's other head. ;)

Originally posted by Base:

Slartibartfast was played by Bill Nighy, he was the old rock star making the comeback in Love, Actually.

Alan Rickman (Marvin's voice) was also in "Love Actually." For that matter, so was Martin Freeman (Arthur Dent). Freeman was also in the TV show, "The Office" (original UK version) as well. In fact, the pedigree of good projects from the lesser-known cast members is surprisingly rich:

Warwick Davis (Marvin's body) was in "Return of the Jedi," "Willow," and the Harry Potter movies, for example.

Anna Chancellor (Questular Rontok) was in "The Man Who Knew Too Little" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Zooey Deschanel (Trillian) was in "Almost Famous" and "Elf," and sang "Baby It's Cold Outside" during Elf's credits.

Mos Def (Ford Prefect), as already mentioned, was in "The Italian Job." He was also in "Monster's Ball" and of course has many music credits to his name.

(The credits of most of the rest of the cast have already been mentioned; and of course, John Malkovich and Alan Rickman are far from unknown and have too many good credits to list here.)

This movie may not measure up to the book; but then again, how many do? However, I think it's a standout movie in the current field of releases and could very well become a cult classic.

Thumbs up! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

man...I thuoght the one guys name was 'Slutty Bar Farts'

It HAS been a long time since I read the book.

So, has anyone made the South Park connection yet?

( i.e. HHG to SP..?)

Once you figure it out, it will explain something rather mysterious about SP..

I dug out my tapes of the original series and started watching them last night. Love the theme tune and glad it made it into the film! They did leave out all sorts of little bits (like how did they actually get onto the Vogon's ship in the first place, no explanation at all in the film!?), but then again you also have to remember that it wasn't strictly based on the book or the TV series, it was based on the loose story in Douglas Adams mind that he has already translated into a radio play, a TV show, a book , a video game and then a film script, ALL of them different in some way...

Dean - I have no idea what the SouthPark connection is, please tell???

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived