Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advise for being in an unwanted situation that I can't get out of.....

I hope this doesn't come across as a "woah is me" self-pity thread.....First of all, I HATE MY JOB!!!!!!!! As most of us here have experienced before, I am in a situation that I can't get out of right now so i am looking for some advise to keep me sane until I can get out. It's basically my job. I work for a major website and I answer phone calls and emails all day (customer service). I don't mind the emails but the phone calls have been getting more and more difficult to handle without feeling like going postal. The reason I can't leave at this time is #1: the money is good (better than most places for this type of work) #2: the benefits are great too. For the first time I have a 401K, health insurance, discounts on some stuff. Besides trying to find another job, what else can I do to keep things in perspective for now? I don't want to burn any bridges. I would rather learn how to get stronger mentally in a situation like this so that as I get older I can handle more stressful situations. I just have a very hard time dealing with the stupidity w/the phone calls at my job. Man, I got some stories. And i just can't get used to the "corporate world". So any advise?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just thought of something. What a great way to try and get fired! Can you imagine what it would look like from my manager's point of view if she walked by my desk while I was on the phone and playing that game?...LOLOL!!!!!! I don't have a PC at home but maybe I should make it a habit to play Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt on my PS2 every day after work....hmmmm..

Remember two things.

1) Don't sweat the small stuff.

2) It's all small stuff.

Water off a ducks back my friend. Never, ever take it personal.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Buy property from Dak.:

Remember two things.

1) Don't sweat the small stuff.

2) It's all small stuff.

Water off a ducks back my friend. Never, ever take it personal.

Thanks Dak.. Although I agree 100%, why do i have such a hard time remembering that in difficult situations when i need to most???

It takes time.

One thing that can help is to look at those problem folks as dollar signs. If it weren't for them there would be no need for your position, thus no income.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

hi Nathan,

Here's what you shouldn't do, but if you are like most phone service reps you probably will, at some point. When you are the caller, treat the customer service rep like pure garbage if he or she slips up in any way. I used to be a CSR and, I confess, I did it. It was wrong. And I felt badly afterward. But when I was in the driver's seat, it did feel good (sin often does :-). And I knew precisely which 'buttons' to push having been on the receiving end of several irate calls.

If you don't mind running a risk of being fired, there's always "Plantation politics" in which you follow every single rule and guideline you've been given. Make notes so that when you get in trouble over your excessive call-handle time, you can document that you were simply following orders.

Another good one is if a customer is getting irate and says this or that policy sucks, ask them, "Sucks what?" in as innocent a voice as possible.

However, there is always this: you can start each day with a good thought (or a prayer if you are so inclined) that on at least one call that day, you will be able to go above and beyond and make a positive difference in that caller's life. You know, a little extra kindness - call-handle time be damned.

best,

John

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

Patience, Grasshopper.

You must become firm like board, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball.

I recomend soft ambient music while you work, taking walks during lunch, and talk to your clients as you would a 3 year old.

Be the person you'd want to talk to if you were an idiot talking with customer support.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It sounds to me like you are bored by your job Ryst and you crave something more interesting and fulfilling.

Here's what I'd do. First, start to dress for the career that you WANT, not the job that you HAVE. Next, do some research to find that position. Does it exist at the company you currently work for? It probably does.

Try to find out how the HR department runs at your place - find out the qualifications needed for the post you really want. Ask around to see if there are other interesting positions that they can't seem to fill (perhaps the qualification bar is set too high?). Find out if there are aptitude tests that they run to find candidates for some of the better positions. That kind of thing - make sure you will appear very knowledgeable about all your company's practices, procedures, and expectations. Once you understand the career ladders and how HR works at your place, schedule a one-on-one meeting with your current boss. Tell him/her that you'd like to discuss something important with them and that it shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes at most. How could they refuse such a reasonable request? If they push back and ask what the issue is, simply say "I'd rather discuss it formally with you at the meeting. When can we meet?".

Once you have their undivided attention, present them with your stats that show you are coping with your current job easily (you can do this, right?). Then tell them that straight that you are more than a little bored with the work, and that while you recognize that the work you are doing fulfils a useful corporate need, you think you need a more challenging position and that you'd like to be considered for other posts (name them) in the company and you'd be more than willing to go on the requisite training courses if need be.

They will be astounded that you have done all your homework and will leap at the chance to promote/retrain/move you, just to keep such a wonderful proactive employee on the books.

I'll eat my hat if it doesn't work.

Let us know how you get on....

:DTR

Dave & Dak offer sage advice.

Don't get caught up in the gossip machine of a work environment: this one said that, IIII think the manager has his head up his..., IIII know more than that one, this one is sooooooo slow, on and on and on

Do your job, put it in the desk drawer at the end of the day, and go home to what you are interested in.

If your job is not what you want to be doing and is not interesting to you, use it for what it provides: income, and time for you to do what you want.

Do not carry workplace issues on your back 24 hours a day. Every once in a while there will be a tough situation, that requires a brainstorm at some odd hour, put procedural stuff needs to stay in the cubicle.

I can't give you any advice Nathan. I'd walk out or get fired for sure. I'd also be rude back at the rude customers calling in which would get me fired for sure. You should be proud you are able to do that job. Some of us cannot.

This won't make you feel any better, but most of us do not have jobs we like. We work to make a living. Yes, some are very lucky indeed, and they do what they love, but most of us take jobs to help pay the bills. I think the biggest test for you will be patience. You have to develop the patience to keep your job and keep the money rolling in while you think and plan your future. When the time comes, and it will, you can walk out knowing you have something good to walk out to. Yup, in todays economy, it could take a while, but it will happen. :thu:

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I don't mind the emails but the phone calls have been getting more and more difficult to handle without feeling like going postal.
Look at the bright side; at least you're not working at the Post Office while feeling the way you do. :D

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by ryst:

The reason I can't leave at this time is #1: the money is good (better than most places for this type of work) #2: the benefits are great too. For the first time I have a 401K, health insurance, discounts on some stuff.

Hey...welcome to the party, pal! :wave:

I too would love a nice, easy job...no pressures...no headaches...

...but still get great pay with all the bennies.

I'm sure most everyone does!

Now, I'm not saying there aren't any great jobs, that pay great, but without any pressure/headaches...

...but there aren't too many of them out there.

To put it simply...it's all in your head.

If you approach each work day with the attitude that you just can't handle it anymore...well, you won't.

But, if the job is truly more than you CAN handle...or that it's just beyond your ability, or just not your type of job.

then...you need to find something else...even if it has less monetary reward.

I remember way back, when I was in my 20's...I tried the Real Estate thing for awhile. Got my license...and even made a few sales.

It wasn't a difficult job...and it was very flexible...I didn't really have to "punch a clock". And...when the sales was made, I got good money for very little "real" work.

But...I HATED sales.

So...I quit that job.

Right now...I just switched from a web/multimedia design job, which is very creative work...

...to a pure server/sys admin job, which is very analytical work...and has daily...serious...pressures

'cuz we are supporting about 8,000 end users here.

It's going to be a bit tough for awhile...and I have to really be on my toes...troubleshooting daily calls/emails. But I'm not going to let it get the best of me...and instead, I look forward to the challenge, and take pride in solving each problem as it comes.

Just do the best you can and don't let it get the best of you. :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Lots of good advice here already Ryst, here's what I can add: You've already said "Man, I've got some stories"... why not keep a surreptitious log of all these stories, and plan on writing a book when you do find another job, called "My Life in Customer Service" or something like that. Whether you actually publish such a book or not is moot; just trying to find the humor in all the calls may be just enough to keep you going. Good luck!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I feel your pain. I work a similar job, mine is tech support but I deal with idiots all day long and it gets frustrating very quickly. I usually just will take a few seconds after each bad call and just reset my mind. Being pissed off at the last call will just ensure the next one sucks too. I close my eyes, take a few deep breaths and clear things out. A short memory is important here. it is also good to have some sort of an outlet for frustration like botch's idea about writing it down. On particularly bad days I go home and spend 30 minutes with the guitar cranked or the heavy punching bag. getting plenty of sleep helps too especially if you do a lot of volume. I get a headache at about 80 calls a day that will stick around for hours no matter what but if i don't get a good nights sleep it pops up at about 50 calls.

good luck.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Tech Support and Customer Service were my main reponsabilities @ the company that eneded up laying me off after 17 years of service, I used to bring the problems home and evreywhere, it took time but the last 2 years @ that company I learned how to leave evreything @ my desk.

Listen to music, if you like sports try to play a litle bit or as much as yo can before you go to bed, and in my case praying everyday worked.

:thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

My wife has worked for ___ for the past decade taking phone calls. It took years before she fully realized most of the people on the other end of the line had brought misery upon themselves, and those who didn't could easily be calmed by pointing out that only two people in the world cared whether the customer's issue was resolved at that moment, and he/she (the customer) was pissing off the only one of the two who could do something about it. ;):D

Of course she was more tactful than my description suggests, so as not to put her job at risk.

Now she works in collections, so anyone giving her a hard time gets the same treatment they dish out. There are limits to what collectors can say or do, but she makes it clear it's in their best interest to calm down and make a payment agreement or risk repossession. They can't say anything about repo unless it is imminent. Instead, they ask leading questions such as, "Where is the vehicle parked?" "Is this the current address the vehicle is garaged at?" People get the picture and, generally, make a quick attitude adjustment when they understand there's something worse than being asked to pay their bills.

If you're in another area of customer service, the last part won't apply. Just remember you're there to help them, but you can't always do so. Get them on your side, without insulting the company, but at the same time empathetic about their situation. And realize, just as here or other human interactions, there are some people who won't allow themselves to be helped. They just want to vent. Do your best to be courteous and get them off the line any way your company allows, because they just want to make your life hell as a representative of a company they feel (real or imagined) is the source of some misery.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Phone support sucks. I started out at tech support myself and at first, I enjoyed helping people. After a few years, the cranky people just annoyed me (the nice ones were always a pleasure to help).

I've done my share of "mean" stuff to users when I got to my breaking point. One that I remember which I thought was funny was when someone forgot their password. I reset it for them and I told them their new password over the phone (phoenitically): "you one dee ten tee". I thought I was being slick but if you write it down, it's pretty obvious. The person even asked me, how I got this password and I said it was randomly generated.

Well for me, I knew I really couldn't do it any more and got out of it - which doesn't help you so here's some things to try:

* Try and get an outlet for your frustration - whether stress ball or taking a break to walk outside

* Try and always have something to look forward to when you get home and just think of that.

* If you can swing it, leave the office for lunch - change in environment is good even if it's only an hour

* Try and see it from the caller's point of view and put yourself in their position

Unfortunately, some people are just plain buttheads and don't know how to act any differently even when asking for help. Maybe a voodoo doll would be appropriate for those folks. :D

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I didn't read the whole thread -- but I saw a lot of great advice.

One thing that helped me through back when I was a [very] angry, young man:

Imagine all the bad energy as waves and yourself as having the ability to either contract -- and be buffetted around by those waves -- or expand ("expand in love" as we used to say... no, not that, way you dirty-minded... :D ) -- and let the bad energy waves pass right on through you.

That's a visualization technique that saved my backside a lot of times when I was working in less than ideal circumstances (specifically, in a low-life gas station in a very bad part of town in the mid-70's during the gas crunches). Everyday, seemed like, I was confronted with human misery, anger and degradation... it could have been a really, really depressing, anger-producing job. I'm not saying I wasn't kind of glad when they laid me off [in the aftermath of one of our employees being kidnapped at knifepoint early one Sunday morning -- he managed to escape the bad guys by grabbing the knife which was being held at his throat and scrambling out over one of the perps through an open car window. The company laid off the whole crew and brought in the Nation of Islam to man the station -- who only lasted 3 weeks! Cracked me the hell up] -- but, by remembering that people -- at any given moment -- are simply who their life until then has led them to be, and by 'letting the bad energy pass through' rather than balling up and being knocked around by it -- I actually have been able to remember that job with a kind of perverse fondness.

I left a shit job in 1996 to become a musician. I've always been a musician. I joined the sweatshop in 1979 intending to stay long enough to get the bread for a decent guitar. 17 years and several decent guitars later I was still there. So I told them to shove the job where the monkey shoved his nuts. The sweatshop has long since closed down. The degenerates that ran it are all on the dole/divorced/in jail/starving. I'm still a musician. :thu:

Ryst-

You need to change your perspective a bit. Consider the positives of the job first and the fact that you can directly change the image the clients have of the company. You may not care for the company but consider the fact that you have good benefits and get paid well. Then consider the everyday man out there making $35,000 a year working 40 hours a week.

Do you have your health? If so, stop complaining.

Peace.

Archived