Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Collins Face Value DVD funny . . .

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what anyone says.

Phil Collins is a fine songwriter, great singer, excellent drummer.

The drum break on "In the Air Tonight", is arguably the greatest and most distictive drumbreak in the history of Rock-n-Roll.

People can complain about his compressed gated drum sound, but I'm not aware of anybody doing that before he did it. It was a unique and effective sound, and it didn't get old until EVERYBODY ELSE started copying it.

As far as comparisons to Zappa go....

I dunno...

Phil played in Brand X and Genesis. I'd say the musical output there is probably equal to Zappa's.

I'll probably be shot for saying that, but I honestly haven't heard any Zappa material that impressed me any more than the old Genesis stuff.

But really, comparing them is dumb because they both hold important places in Rock music. It's not a competition. Listening to Zappa and Collin's work simply makes my musical experience more enjoyable.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

I don't care what anyone says.

Phil Collins is a fine songwriter, great singer, excellent drummer.

People can complain about his compressed gated drum sound, but I'm not aware of anybody doing that before he did it. It was a unique and effective sound, and it didn't get old until EVERYBODY ELSE started copying it.

I'd agree on the 'excellent drummer' aspect. Never cared for him as a singer or song writer, but the dude could play.

Origin of that sound goes to Bowie/Visconti/Eno. And yeah, it was really cool til Phil and everyone else started copying it. :D

Originally posted by EoS:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Which albums?

Low
eh, well I'm not so sure I agree with that.

The drums on Low do have a 'gated quality', I'll give you that. But in my opinion, they have a more electronic sound. They sound much closer to things I've heard Sly Dunbar doing, than anything from Phil Collins.

To say that Phil got his sound by copying them seems a bit of a leap to me.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I think the Zappa comparison is kind of goofy but that doesn't take away from the fact that the dude has talent.

It's just too bad that most of the stuff (not all) he released post Genesis is generic and safe.

I always thought the party line narrative of that particular gated drum sound credits Peter Gabriel's 3rd album, and in particular the song Intruder, as the point of origin--which of course features Collins on drums, along with Marotta, I think.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hey, don't get me wrong - I like Phil Collins. Why else would I have rented that DVD? In the DVD, Mr. Collins came across as a very down-to-earth, normal, and modest guy.

I just thought the comparison was rather silly. Why would an accomplished musician like Mr. Shankar even try to make comparisons like that? Between Mr. Collins and Mr. Zappa (sorry Wewus :D ).

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Hey, don't get me wrong - I like Phil Collins. Why else would I have rented that DVD?

I just thought the comparison was rather silly. Why would an accomplished musician like Mr. Shankar even try to make comparisons like that?

We all say dumb things in our lives. Famous people get it recorded... :P

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by russrags:

The drum sound was Bowie & Collins at the same time as they both recieved proto type Lex 224 units.

Russ

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

Low was recorded many years before Face Value.

Visconti said the snare drum sound on Low was largely done using an Eventide 910.

The "Collins" gated verb sound was first done on Peter Gabriel's 3rd album. Mostly done with gated room mics keyed by close drum mics at Townhouse Studio. Many variations were done later on this sound.

Archived