Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown- Seen it?

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008J2HC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you haven't seen it, stop by your local Blockbuster or corner Video Rental Place this weekend.

I expected it to be a movie based partially on real people and real events, but i was pleasantly surprised in that it was a straight-ahead documentary. The real d00ds and the real tunes!

Some parts of it are kinda `staged', i.e. some musical performances, but that's ok- it's real music done by real ppl and it's beautiful.

In the beginning credits they show "Joan Osborne"... Sarah and i were like "WTF is SHE doing in this?"...... They have some interview in there where she's kinda talking and acting out all the cliched stupid white girl stuff...

But then she went up to sing.. OMG :eek: I had to do a google-take and make sure we still had the same "What If God Was One Of Us" girl... Dunno what her problem was 10 years ago, but in this video she's HOT!

Check this video out, or even buy it... it's $10 on Amazon....

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. I've got the DVD. Played it for the guys in my band after a gig a week ago. Since we grew up listening to, and playing, this music (we call it 'Beach Music'), all the guys thought it was worth watching the movie.

Highly recommended. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My friend dragged me to see Joan Osborne about ten years ago, and while she wasn't really my cup of tea, I thought she sang really well.

I heard that this is a great documentary, but still haven't seen it.

Originally posted by E-money:

(we call it 'Beach Music')
What do you guys call The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean?
We call that The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean. ;)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

A bunch of us Keyboard Corner members saw it together when it was in the theaters and I promptly bought the DVD upon its release. This is a long overdue tribute to some of the most important musicians in the history of recorded music.

Joan Osborne

I loved her first album Relish, especially the cut Right Hand Man which sampled the opening guitar riff from Captain Beefheart's Clear Spot and turned it into the most rockin' 7/4 tune I've ever heard! You gotta hear this song!

She's probably my favorite singer to come out in the last decade. It's a real pity that she's had so little original material released since her debut in 1995.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I wasn't really interested Joan Osbourne, pretty much forgot she existed, until I saw this. She does a great job. She also did a great job singing for The Dead on a tour. In fact it was the first time I saw a dead show and went wow these guys sound like a good band.

As far as the movie goes what can I say those guys Get Down. I mean GET DOWN. There's close up of Jamerson's right hand doing the one finger funk that changed my life. I still get chills thinking about it.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

The part of the DVD that really got to me was the one guy who had played an extremely well-known part (maybe the opening riff on "My Girl?" If not that, something similarly memorable) who'd been having lunch at a diner when the song came on. He wanted to tell the waiter "hey, that's me playing that" but he was afraid he wouldn't believe him. Incredibly sad to be so proud of something you'd done; something that EVERYBODY knows, yet to also feel so detached from it. That kinda sums up the whole movie for me.
None more black.

Originally posted by rog951:

The part of the DVD that really got to me was the one guy who had played an extremely well-known part (maybe the opening riff on "My Girl?" If not that, something similarly memorable) who'd been having lunch at a diner when the song came on. He wanted to tell the waiter "hey, that's me playing that" but he was afraid he wouldn't believe him. Incredibly sad to be so proud of something you'd done; something that EVERYBODY knows, yet to also feel so detached from it. That kinda sums up the whole movie for me.

I think it really sucks for musicians to be part of something like that, but not have any control over it. That's the story of the music business though The people with the talent, the people doing all the work, providing all the inspiration, getting screwed over. That's wrong.

Those guys WERE Motown, they shouldn't have been standing in it's shadow.

Ah, the Funk Brothers (I haven't seen the video)! It's good to see them get at least some due ...

And, they're still gigging! Some of the original cats have passed on, but the band today still does shows here and there. We almost got the slot to open for them at Stern Grove, July 24 (for those of you in the SF area who might want to go see them). After mulling it over quite seriously, organizers decided we weren't quite the match-up for them .... :(

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Bob Olhsson can give some nice insight on this as well. Lets invite him to chime in!!! :D

He's a great guy. Seriously, that would be a good idea.

Bob Olhsson can give some nice insight on this as well. Lets invite him to chime in!!! :D:D

He's a great guy. Seriously, that would be a good idea.

:D;)

-------------------------------------------------

The Funk Brothers were a MAJOR reason the Motown stuff was as cool as it was. :cool:

I have not seen SITSOM in quite a while... I really need to buy the DVD. :idea::thu:

Archived