Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laptop with numeric keypad?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul, they're asking for features that are diametrically opposed to one another.

• laptop
  • integrated, full size numeric keypad
  • lightweight

It's time to tell them the fast/quality/$$$ equation, as it applies to their list of needs or you can find out what it would cost to purchase thin, rigid steel plates with heavy duty double stick to permanently attach and outboard numeric keypad to the side of a lightweight laptop. ;) It can be done.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I've had to deal with Blackberry keyboards that work in a similar fashion and, while I am well aware they are much smaller than a laptop keyboard, the difficulty in using them isn't the key size so much as toggling back and forth between the normal characters and the numeric keypad functions. Fortunately, several uses of numbers are programmed such that only the numeric keypad is active. But when both alpha and numeric characters are mixed, it's constant toggling.

I would gladly use a USB numeric keypad if I owned a laptop. I would find a way to secure it to the side. Perhaps the rigid plate could be velcroed to both the bottom of the computer and the USB keypad.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I owned a SONY laptop PCG-NVR23 that had an option bay which allowed you to swap out a floppy drive, subwoofer (which I kept in most of the time ;) ), or retractable numeric keypad. I sold mine on ebay recently, but you may still find them available there.

Barry

More info here: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=16

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31558&item=6757931227&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Archived