Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do artists make any money from used CD sales?

Or, I should rephrase - do artists make any money from used CD sales where the seller is following the "rules" (if there are any) that call for some way for the artist to receive something on the sale?

I'm not sure I really want to know the answer - I buy used almost exclusively 'cause of the price, obviously. If the artists get nothing, I'll feel guilty....

But I must know the TRUTH.......

M Peasley

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by M Peasley:

I buy used almost exclusively 'cause of the price, obviously. If the artists get nothing, I'll feel guilty....

Why feel guilty? For a CD to be "used", someone must have paid for it initially, and this is when the artist would be compensated.

If I buy a Sony LCD monitor, and sell it a week later, and the next owner sells it again, should Sony be paid every time it changes hands?

That's kind of a leading question... The royalties are paid on the original sale. One CD could then be ripped to a computer, sold, ripped again, sold... and so forth. Somebody makes a buck everytime it is sold, but it's not the original artist. A bit more cumbersome than a file sharing service, but the same concept, nonetheless

TrancedelicBlues:---->Hey Angelo, are there any Swiss car manufacturers?

Yes.

Opel, Chevrolet, Peugeot, MAN and Saurer Trucks, Mowag army automobiles, Sauber formula 1, and a lot of high-tech manufactured component supplier for Porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc..

This is my fav. Swiss car manufacturer:

Rinspeed (Concept Cars)

http://www.rinspeed.com/pages/content/framesets_e/bedouin.html

I however, after two frontal crashs, and complet destruction of seven automobiles, don't drive cars myself anymore!

-

As i understand the initial question:

Should the second hand store pay something to the copyright owners?

I think no, this is done by the first buyer.

-

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

I'll go on record with the opinion that this is just as damaging to the industry as file trading.

In neither case can we assume that the original owner is or is not continuing to listen to the content, with today's technology. "Unauthorized distribution" is one of the clear-cut infringements on copyrighted material.

In L.A., at least, used-CD racks are overwhelmingly stocked with record company promo copies, sold for pennies on the dollar to the store by record company employees, paid for by the artist.

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

I'll go on record with the opinion that this is just as damaging to the industry as file trading.

Well, personally I don't think file trading is damaging to the industry. Okay, CD stores feel it, but CD stores are on their way out anyway. Internet devlivery systems like iTunes are the deathblow to CD stores. If they want to survive, they'll need to sell DVD's and game consoles -and maybe they could bring back headshops. Otherwise those stores are history.

As far as the artist goes, I think file sharing helps them. Their money comes from gigs and merch. CD sales don't amount to much, and the record company takes most of it anyway.

In neither case can we assume that the original owner is or is not continuing to listen to the content, with today's technology. "Unauthorized distribution" is one of the clear-cut infringements on copyrighted material.

Yeah, but that puts the blame on the original owner, not on the used CD store or the second buyer.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Even if the original owner destroys all backups, it doesn't translate into more or less new CD sales.

How does this affect the public library? I can go there and check out CD's, DVD's, magizines, and books. It costs me nothing. Every town has a library.

In L.A., at least, used-CD racks are overwhelmingly stocked with record company promo copies, sold for pennies on the dollar to the store by record company employees, paid for by the artist.

Well sure, in L.A. Out here it's rare.

I think overall, it accounts for a tiny fraction of the number of used CD sold. Nearly all of the CD's I've ever seen started out shrink-wrapped at a record store.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I'm in the "why feel guilty?" crowd. The artist has already received his standard cut from the original sale. If the CD was to remain in the original purchasers collection there would be no further income to the artist. Same as a book.

There is no legal mechanism to collect more royalties or other income. And I can't see any reason why there should be.

Archived