Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Coolest invention in our lifetime...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, penicillin was a very important step. Another was vaccines.

Inventions/concepts we would (IMO) be better off without: telemarketing, the pet rock, heroin, nuclear/chem/bio weapons, pop-up windows, computer viruses, cigarettes...

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I was gonna go with "cheese in a can", but after reading this thread I have to go with "cheese in a website".

No doubt in my mind, the "coolest" invention was Ice-9

dwoz

Unfortunately, optimism and understanding are reciprocals.

There was a poll done around the turn of this century and human kind, in their infinite wisdom, voted for the Microwave oven as the best invention of the 20th century.

I don't remember who did the poll, but it was supposed to be a national survey of some kind.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The C.I.A. :eek:

Most of the stuff in our studios is

trickle-down technology from NASA... :P

Which was just a flimsy PR cover for all the

Cold War weapons/recon/intel systems R&D... ;)

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

This gets interesting. Even if we all stay on the "in our lifetime" track, the range of ages in this forum would cover a lot of ground. And it also depends on your interpretation of "cool".

I see kids now taking for granted toys that are beyond the wildest dreams of my youth. They treat the Playstation like it's ALWAYS been there, and it's to the point that some are of an age where the VHS tapes seem "quaint". The oldest of the grandnieces(17)thinks it draconian that her mother did schoolwork with nothing more modern than a pocket calculator, and it boggles her mind that people my age never even had THAT luxury!

So, in my lifetime, some of the best inventions would be...

the polio vaccine(yeah, I DID have schoolmates who've lived through polio. And had the limp arms and legbraces to show for it.)

the transistor

video tape

the communication satillite(Telstar)

color television

stereophonic sound

cinemascope

Fizzies and Flavo-straws

45rpm records

Trix and Frosted Flakes

Sting Ray bikes

Mr. Coffee

White-out

photo copiers

lunch cakes

milk cartons

Kool-Ade

push button telephones

aluminum siding

twist ties

plastic wrap

Scotch Tape

magnetic tape

velcro

Polaroid cameras and film(well, just a COUPLE of years 'fore my time)

film cartriges

Roto-tenna

hot air poppers

microwave ovens

clock radios

the "snooze" button

the "Fuzz Box" & "Cry-Baby"

the heart transplant

For starters

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sting Ray bikes!

Whitefang, you've brought back memories. A metalic lime green Schwinn Sting Ray with a black banana seat and a front fork shock absorbing spring. I had the "Sears version" and it wasn't the same. My buddy had the one mentioned above. I started my gear lust early...

Wireless everything. Remote car locks, remote controls, cell phones, wireless phones, wireless networks, wireless price tags (see the Kohl's shoe dept)... not to mention wireless mics, etc... and more to come.

BTW, every time my kids are in the toy aisle of a store, I'm reminded of how Samplers are everywhere, and the technology has been put to terrible use. Push this button, it plays this song, push that button, it makes that noise, press here and it says this or that. Noise is inescapable nowadays, all because of a recorded sound stored on a chip somewhere.

Originally posted by coyote:

Next coolest: Automatic transmission for bicycles. Without using any sort of electric sensing equipment, it somehow knows you're spinning the pedals too fast or you're exerting too much effort - and it moves the chain to the appropriate sprocket. And it manages to do that without adding 200 lbs (or even 2 lbs) to the bike.

Are you kidding me???? Those auto bikes are about the most ridiculous things EVER on a bike. They are at best unreliable, and they add ROTATING weight, which is brutal. There is a reason Lance doesn't use one.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

I can't believe a bunch of musicians missed the greatest invention in our history..

The Pill.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

The obvious answer:

The Thermos

it keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold . . . but "how do it know?"

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

The obvious answer:

The Thermos

it keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold . . . but "how do it know?"

The world\'s funniest joke:

John the idiot is in the pub showing off a flask he'd got in the sales. 'It's a thermos flask,' he says, 'It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold'.

'That's great', says his friend, 'What have you got in it at the moment?'

John replies, 'Two cups of coffee and an ice cream!'

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by DC:

Originally posted by GZsound:

[qb] I can't believe a bunch of musicians missed the greatest invention in our history..

The Pill.

GZ, politics aside, we obviously have some very core things in comman. That's my choice since I showed up in late 1957.

Thanks.. And I don't do politics anymore.. So much music, so little time.

Isn't it funny we spend nine months trying to get out of the womb and a lifetime trying to get back in..?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by DC:

Originally posted by GZsound:

I can't believe a bunch of musicians missed the greatest invention in our history..

The Pill.

GZ, politics aside, we obviously have some very core things in comman. That's my choice since I showed up in late 1957.

:thu:;):cool:

Surely the pill. Allowed nearly 50% of the population to take control of their lives in a way few before it's availability even contemplated. Astounding implications for the workforce, contributions of working women, and population of the world as time goes on.

Archived