Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody want a project to practice their restoration/mastering chops?

My band is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. One of my many projects is putting together a CD of material thats been recorded over the life of the band. Now; keep in mind that we are and always have been primarily a club/festival band and have only done a couple of professional recordings. I do, however have boxes of old cassette and video tapes from boom boxes, board mixes, rehearsals, TV shows, etc Ive spent the past two months digging through the spider webs for anything useable. Of course 99% of it is total crap but I have come up with a few that may be restorable. My goal is to come up with three recordings from each of the 5 phases that we have been through and create a CD to be given away at anniversary shows this summer and fall.

My problem is that after listening to so many crappy recordings, my ears are now so trashed that I am having trouble tweaking the ones that I think could be useable. The levels are all over the map, theres lots of tape hiss and distortion, and the tonal variations are everywhere. I need some independent ears to listen to this stuff, tweak it and help me make of it what I can.

So my question is; would anybody like to try out some new toys or practice their mastering/restoration chops and see if you can help me make anything out of this mess? This project is a labor of love primarily for the band and our long-time fans so I cant afford to hire anybody to take this on.

If anybody is interested, please let me know (PM or email). I dont expect any profit from this but if there is any, I will be more than happy to share.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PBBPaul:

My problem is that after listening to so many crappy recordings, my ears are now so trashed that I am having trouble tweaking the ones that I think could be useable. The levels are all over the map, theres lots of tape hiss and distortion, and the tonal variations are everywhere. I need some independent ears to listen to this stuff, tweak it and help me make of it what I can.

I could try out a snippet and run it thru Voxengo Redunoise to get rid of some broadband noise and maybe even a little 60/120/240Hz hum if there's any. This could be a fun shootout kind of thing for me as I'd like to go up against Waves X-Noise if anyone has it or equivalent modern denoisers.

I'd have to warn in advance - once I bust out the tape hiss and clarity sets in if there's any saturation or distortion in the recording I don't know what I can do for that. Maybe someone else does and I can learn something too. I was surprised to find out (on another shootout) how much tape hiss can hide that stuff!

Also - depending on what you have for board mixes it might be possible to use a little m/s to adjust stereo balance and things - especially if one channel is from the board and one channel is a room mic.

Could be some fun & technique exchange...folks that don't participate can offer criticism - you need that too!

I practice every day. I am loaded down some but I have room to fit one in. Sure, I will give it a shot.

My rates are a shade pricy for some indies but I always "give it up some" to show the skills. I am flexible (to a point) Supply/Demand.

No charge for a couple.. It maight take me a weel though...the schedule is priority.

1/2 price sale is extended to March 25th

This might just turn into a mastering shootout..I am game brother!

I have FTP and all format capability.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Archived