Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AI Music Selection Criteria?

I actually watched American Idol last night with my wife. It kind of interested me that all these young singers are doing old music. Why? I would assume that they have a small list of songs from which to choose to perform but is there nothing on that list that's less than 20 years old? Is it just that the licensing is cheaper for older music? Are they going for an older demographic?

Does anybody know what the criteria are that AI uses to choose the music?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

overheard at an AI production meeting:

"What about having them sing "____________"?"

"Does it blow?"

"Damn straight, it does."

"Perfect."

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I think they try to choose old R&B and other "standards" because any number of singers can perform them. Most of the material they utilize is cross-genre, and can be sung by a singer from virtually any ethnic background with no complaints.

It is sooo watered down.

Originally posted by spokenward:

I like my explanation better.....
and your point is indisputable.
I would have to agree. :D

My wife was trying to convince me that they use older material because the newer "artists" won't release the rights.

OT: TV advertising songs:

Maybe the ad people that create TV ad's use older music because all the ad people are all "OLD" too. :) How often do you hear a song that's "new" for product advertisments?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

OT: TV advertising songs:

Maybe the ad people that create TV ad's use older music because all the ad people are all "OLD" too. :) How often do you hear a song that's "new" for product advertisments?

Mike T.

Or is it that our population (and their preferred demographic) is getting OLD, or that they can't find any decent "new" music that actually appeals to a wide demographic.

Is there really a list that the contestants on Idol choose their songs from or are they free to choose whatever they want?

Archived