Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Video Capture Cards

Can anyone make a recommendation on a professional grade capture card for Mac OSX? I know Canopus is name I've heard a lot, but any specific models? I have heard that some brands are notorious for dropping frames, etc. Will I be able to capture DVD's from my DVD player?

This brings me to my second question, which is how can I edit a DVD? Is the only way to capture it, and then edit it in say iMovie or Final Cut?

Thanks.

I have no homepage.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Advc300. No drop frames from anything I've captured in over a year of use. Rock solid audio/video sync. Drift never happens. Ever. Simultaneaous monitoring of in/out video via either computer screen or (important) external monitor..or even tv. Super simple to operate. Works beautifully with all the major nle programs.

Will it capture dvd's? You mean the commercial ones that have Macrovision? No. No box manufacturer will allow that, fearing the wrath of Hollywood. Will it capture non protected dvds or video dvds you make yourself? Yes.

There was a story a couple of years ago that the smaller advc100 could defeat Macrovision. This applied to the very first generation of those cards. Canopus quickly changed the circuitry so that this couldn't happen. In general, I'm not a big fan of the advc100 although it's very popular.

The advc300 is much better. And standalone with it's own power supply. Built in color correction. Time base correction. A zillion parameters settable in software or via switches on the box. Portable. etc etc.

Stay away from the Pinnacles etc of the earth...or if you're remotely considering that brand, take a few minutes to visit their user forums. Nightmare after nightmare...by the thousands. Maybe thens of thousands.

Visit Canopus or do a search of Canopus problems. Totally different.

Thanks for the info BOOKUMDANO. Couple more questions for you. The differences between the ADVC300 and ADVC100? Do I need color correction? Pristine color is not a concern, these are going to be work prints for myself. What is time base correction?
I have no homepage.

Archived