Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do I need separate hard drives for separate streaming apps??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the recommendation, true. There's LOTS of data being sent over the bus. You don't want dropouts or delays.

On the other hand, I would like to hear from someone on the forum regarding their actual experiences with this.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

:eek: ...So I need to make sure BFD has it's own hard drive? I need to make sure that EWQLSO Gold has it's own hard drive? And if I get Ivory or something similar it also needs it's own hard drive?

And everything else that streams up and down the digital shit creek needs it's own hard drive? What about Kontakt? Do I need a spearate drive for Kontakt samples too?

I suspect they mean that concurrently run applications that do a lot of streaming type disk I/O should use different drives. If so, the drives should idealy be on seperate disk controllers as well. Most PC's come with at least two IDE controllers which can support up to 2 IDE devices (HD,CD-om, tape, etc.). It's common to set up the primary IDE controller with a HD and a CD-Rom, then put a secondary HD and CD-RW on the secondary IDE controller.

How likely is it that you'll be using more than two applications simultaneously to stream data to the HD drives?

No signature required.

Jon Doe,

So as long as I am not using BFD and EWQLSO Gold at the same time, they can co-exist on the same drive without issues? And that rules applies pretty much with any sample library that streams off the hard disk? If I buy more drives I will be getting firewire drives because i can only have 2 drives in my G5 without an expensive hack.

ryst

How do you like BFD?

It's probably the only new product I've seen in a couple years that fires me up. The samples on their website mostly sound pretty good (there was a ride sample that sounded a bit mechanical in its cutoffs) but how do you like working with it?

Originally posted by ryst:

Jon Doe,

So as long as I am not using BFD and EWQLSO Gold at the same time, they can co-exist on the same drive without issues? And that rules applies pretty much with any sample library that streams off the hard disk? If I buy more drives I will be getting firewire drives because i can only have 2 drives in my G5 without an expensive hack.

right. The problem is the actual bit streaming. You can have consistency problems while bitstream recording from two apps to the same drive at the same time. This is true of both audio and video streaming(while recording).

Those apps (or the websites of their company) should have some FAQ's about best practices for achieving good recording results.

No signature required.

theblue1,

I like it a lot, actually. The interface is great and the concept is really cool. I love the big ambient drum sound and you can definitly get them with BFD. I just need another gig of ram and I will be set. Also, I am ordering XFL this week which has 22 gigs of more sounds for the BFD. The one thing I don't care about are the grooves. I have never sequenced acoustic drums and I don't ever plan on it. I was able to make my DR-660 sound pretty real so BFD is a major step forward for me for recording realisic drum parts. It seems to work fine in Live4 and DP4.5. The fxpansion demos on their site sound very boring and unreal. But you can get great drum parts if you know what you are doing.

that's how i work:

2 HHD on RAID (IDE ATA)

2 HHD in cartridges (IDE ATA)

4 HHD USB 2.0 pluged in

1 HHD IEEE 1394 (firewire)

Video:

HD one on RAID stores the rendering [system (C:)]

HD two on RAID delivers the video

HD USB delivers the sound for the video

HD IEEE 1394 delivers surround channels

Audio: (Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, WaveLab)

HD one in the cartridge delivers half the sample library

HD two in the cartridge delivers other half of the sample library

HD two on RAID delivers the video

no drop outs. Also no drop outs when all samples come from one cartridge.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Archived