Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gregorian Chant....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want dark, moody Gregorian chants/choral chants that is still pretty, I'd recommend "Sacred Treasures III" on Hearts of Space, which is absolutely gorgeous. It is really nicely recorded, and has a very nice sense of space.

If you want dark, moody, and dissonant, follow Lee Flier's advice and/or get just about any of the choral work from Gyorgy Ligeti, such as the incredible "Lux Aeterna", which I highly recommend anyway if you have adventurous tastes and like a little dissonance - youi know who you are!

Also ryst, you may not realize that Gregorian chant is actually monophonic... that is, no harmony, so no chance of anything dissonant. :D If you want some really freaky dissonant choral music, the Russian Orthodox chants might be be more what you're looking for. I don't know if it's still in print, but I have this CD called "Panikhida: Orthdox Requiem 17 Century." Unreal sounding stuff, if you can find it. It is definitely polyphonic and crazy dissonant in a really cool way, and being Russian, it's dark by default. :D

Origin of Fire, Hildegard of Bingen, Harmonia Mundi

11,000 Virgins: Chants for the Feast of St. Ursula, Hildegard of Bingen, Harmonia Mundi

Gregorian Chant, Easter [iMPORT], Conductor: Pater Godehard Joppich, incl. Death & Resurrection

amazon.com - listen to samples

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

There was an album of Bulgarian voices out on Nonesuch many years ago...if memory serves it was called "Mystere des Voix Bulgares"...not creepy, but fascinating stuff. You've probably heard it on some movie soundtracks.

Some of the choral work from Armenia is also really really great stuff. There is a series called "Music From Armenia" lovingly recorded by David Parsons that has some of this stuff, including some stuff by Komitas. It's not creepy or dissonant, but it's definitely moody and melancholy...

Tibetan Chant? Kid stuff! ;-)

Here are a few samples that you might find interesting:

Choir of One: http://khoomei.com/mp3s/kokarg.mp3

Saddest song ever? http://khoomei.com/mp3s/orphan.mp3 Video version: http://khoomei.com/videos/orphan.mov

Tuvan Remix: http://khoomei.com/mp3s/orai-la_boldu-la.mp3

Drepung Loseling Tibetan Monks: http://khoomei.com/videos/monks.mov

Polyphonic chant from Taiwanese Aboriginals: http://khoomei.com/videos/posi.mov

Bulgarian: Try "Fly, Fly My Sadness" by Angelite/Huun-Huur-Tu/Moscow Art Trio

Look around the URLs below for more eerie vocal music...

ryst........                       

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone here recommend some really good dark, dissonant, eerie, gregorian chant or choir music? Something that could be bought off of I-Tunes would be great.

Craig A., Sez---->There was an album of Bulgarian voices out on Nonesuch many years ago...if memory serves it was called "Mystere des Voix Bulgares"...not creepy, but fascinating stuff. You've probably heard it on some movie soundtracks.

--------------------

Craig Anderton

Brucie sez---->Bulgarian voices out on Nonesuch many years ago...if memory serves it was called "Mystere des Voix Bulgares" - That's the one to get! Once you've heard the Bulgarian ladies sing, your life will never be the same!!!

I have mine, You can't have it! You won't find the good stuff on iTunes..... Good luck!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Lee, why bring "the Donald" into this? :D

The Bulgarian women first became known in the west as the Bulgarian State Women's Choir. After a while they split into more groups. One of them is called Angelite, and my Tuvan buds have toured and recorded extensively with them.

They sing with some laryngeal tension, and plenty of chest and head resonance. Eerie and slightly dissonant, perhaps, but definitely not dark, with that laryngeal tension.

You can hear some brief but pretty good samples at http://www.bulgarianvoices.com/en/wchoir.html although the technical remarks are incorrect.

Wasn't some Ligeti used in 2001: A Space Oddessy?

Originally posted by Steve Sklar:

Wasn't some Ligeti used in 2001: A Space Oddessy?

Yes, the aforementioned "Lux Aeterna" and (I think) "Atmospheres".

Originally posted by ryst:

Lee, Ken, Angelo, Steve:

Thank you! I did some searches on I-tunes and found some cool stuff under the names you gave me. I have never heard some of this stuff before. This is gonna kick ass!!!!

Undoubtedly, it'll kick your ass straight into REM 4!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Something else you might want to look for would be chanting from North American Natives, particularly far north peoples ssuch as the Innu. As abstact sounding as the Gregorians and Tibetan, but utilizing a more rhythmic approach to there music - could be very useful in creating loops. I'll see if I can't track down a link. My boss here at the university should be able to help - that's her major focus of research! Studying music of First Nation cultures.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I meant abstract in the sense that it differs from regular 'pop' music. Not abstract as in "WTF am I supposed to be listening to, here?". My fault for not clarifying...

Cheers!

Spencer

OK, Nathan,

I don't have any specific links, but I do have a couple of leads:

If you did some searching at the Smithsonian/Folkways Recordings website you might find some aboriginal chants there. You might not find much in terms of Innu/Inuit native music, as "most of their music is inspired by their dreams - thus deeply private and personal. Not many are willing to share these experiences on tape." - Dr. Beverley Diamond: Ethnomusicologist/Head of the Research Centre for the Study of Music, Media and Place; Memorial University of Newfoundland (my office)

Also, you might (and I'm talking longshot here) be able to find something in the CBC Archives on a series of aboriginal recordings (both traditional and contemporary) done in partnership with Boot Records Ltd. (sorry I couldn't find a link). One of the titles I have here is Utakushit mak kashikat nakamun. Don't ask me what it translates into, I don't know ;)

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by Anderton:

There was an album of Bulgarian voices out on Nonesuch many years ago...if memory serves it was called "Mystere des Voix Bulgares"...not creepy, but fascinating stuff. You've probably heard it on some movie soundtracks.

Here ya go Amazon

Wonderful stuff. If ya listen closely, ya can hear where Jeff Beck goes for some of his inspiration.

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

Archived