Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coffee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Mike, some might consider you a "coffee snob". But you sound OK to me. Pre-ground coffee is a matter of economics with me. I drink FAR too much of the stuff to get into expensive beans. But on the occasions I do, I enjoy the hell out of it! And I've always been meaning to try one of them presses.

Also, I grew up on "perked" coffee. Nobody HAD "Mr. Coffee" machines until I was about 16-17 years old. There are occasions where we do have power failures, and I drag out the old Corning Ware stove-top perculator. Somehow, coffee does taste better made this way, and I'll sometimes make it that way even when there's no brownout. Somehow the aroma of coffee perculating delights the senses in a way coffee machine brewing can't touch.

And to Jimbroni: I can recall when getting a "bag" of Hawiian WASN'T about COFFEE!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have a few coffee horror stories, but the funniest was when I was a kid out shopping with my dad. We took a break at the store cafeteria and my dad orders a coffee. Now, he was one of the true gentlemen you'd find in the world, so I was surprised when he motioned to a young guy who came behind the counter from the kitchen to come over and uttered that cliché insult "this coffee tastes like dishwater".

The kid takes the cup back, looks in it, looks back at the coffee maker next to the sink and flatly says "you're right sir, it is dishwater. The girl served you from the pot I was cleaning."

It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Whitefang:

I grew up on electric perked coffee too! Damn, that was nasty stuff. BOILED coffee. My folks use to buy the store brands and I swear that stuff has so much more caffeine in it than gourmet coffee does. A few cups of that and I was bouncin' off the walls! For economics, I just cut down on how much coffee I make. Right now I only make enough for two good cups of coffee in the morning. That's working, cause I'm not. :(

As far as a French Press, I bought one a little while back after I cracked the flask on mine by dropping it in the sink....Target had it for 15.95 for a Boden, that's darn cheap. They turn out to be less expensive than an electric gismo of your choice in the long run. The only time you have to replace it is when you're a bone head like me and break the flask. DUH. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived