Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coffee

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

It's been my experience that no one has nailed a decent tasting cup of decaf, yet.

Cheers!

Spencer

Try Gevalia Costa Rican Peaberry decaf, and grind it yourself. I'm not a "coffee snob," but I know what I like (and I've found grinding your own average beans is better than using the best pre-ground beans). This stuff is better tasting than anything I've ever had at SB's -- caf or decaf.

I don't drink decaf because, like you, I think it generally sux. Caffeine has no observable affect on me (i.e., I can take it or leave it without incident, and go to sleep after several cups of regular), so at home I drink decaf everything on the theory that since I get no "kick" there's no point in ingesting it. Consequently, I went on a hunt for decent decaf coffee.

The Gevalia stuff is slightly more expensive than local "boutique" coffee (accounting for the shipping vs. sales tax offset), and I don't buy anything except this Peaberry -- which I've not found anywhere locally. It really is a terrific coffee, caf'd or decaf.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by daddyelmis:

Try Gevalia Costa Rican Peaberry decaf, and grind it yourself. I'm not a "coffee snob," but I know what I like (and I've found grinding your own average beans is better than using the best pre-ground beans). This stuff is better tasting than anything I've ever had at SB's -- caf or decaf.

The Gevalia stuff is slightly more expensive than local "boutique" coffee (accounting for the shipping vs. sales tax offset), and I don't buy anything except this Peaberry -- which I've not found anywhere locally. It really is a terrific coffee, caf'd or decaf.

That sounds like a plan. When I get back from the vet (cat's annual appointment) tonight, I think I'll swing by my fave coffee shop and inquire about it. If they have it, I'm picking up a half-pound.

Caffeine, unfortunately, does affect me quite a bit, hence my search for a decent decaf. It's the same with alcohol - hits me like a ton of brick (metric tonne, that is :P ) .

Thanks for the heads up, daddyelmis!

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Oh man, I am a caffeinie junky du jour, m0n!

I LOVE good coffee. I don't like instant coffe, but wouldn't turn it down necessarily. I unfortunately need it, thanks to being a uni guinea pig. :D

My fave beans are Sumatra, Mocha Java, Kenya, and Colombian. I also like the Robusta beans from the Philippines, where I'm from. I sometimes mix my coffee with Nestle's Milo. That's a malt chocolate drink. Three bucks of that stuff lasts me a few months.

I do try to moderate my consumption. I know folks in school that drink by the potload. (well, okay, nobody, but I know people that drink much more than myself) I couldn't do that, as coffee has some enzyme or other chemical that sends me to the bathroom so fast, that I'd think my bladder would explode!

I can't, and don't need to, drink more than two cups per day anymore.

If you think you don't like coffee it could be because you never had good coffee. Few people know that it is week coffee that tastes the most bitter, because it is "over-extracted." You can't really make good coffee too strong, the stronger the better. (except I hate getting grounds in my cup)

Here on the west coast we are fortunate to have Peet's coffee. In many parts of the US its almost impossible to get good fresh coffee beans. Actually, as mediocre as it is, Starbucks has improved the availability of decent beans in many areas. If you can't find good coffee it can help to put a shot of espresso in your cup of regular coffee.

If you think you don't like coffee try my tips for the best coffee:

1. Use the freshest beans available. I prefer the dark roasts, such as french roast. Especially for dark roasts, the shinier the bean the better. Fresher beans are more aromatic. Never use flavored beans. Flavors are added to the worst beans to hide the bad taste.

2. Properly store your beans in an airtight container in a cool dark place and don't keep them around too long. If possible grind the beans immediately before making your cup of coffee.

3. Use more beans per cup than you think you should.

4. Avoid percolators-filters or french presses are best for making coffee.

5. Coffee makers that heat the pot will burn your coffee after an hour or so. Only make enough to consume in one sitting or store the excess in a thermos.

6. Use real half and half or cream. Milk is not rich enough and artificial "dairy" products are an abomination.

Hard truth's post just reminded me of something:

Didn't we have a thread on buying new coffee makers recently? I just tried a search and it yielded nothing useful.

Anyone else remember that?

Cheers!

Spencer

espresso

You may be thinking of this one. I started this trying to find an affordable espresso maker. Well I went against the expert advice, and got the Delonghi 260 model simply out of space convenience, because its a combo espresso/cappucino and coffee maker I have a small kitchen. That and I didn't wanna spend more tha $200 as jewerly was in order as well. It works great. It makes espresso w/ crema and definetly has enough gumption to froth milk for not only cappucino, but can get the milk hot enough for a good latte. It makes wonder coffee as well.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Coffee is an acquired taste...

There is a scool of thought that it offsets some diabetes...

Another says, it causes weight gain affecting insulin...

Green tea supposed to allow weight reduction...

My friend Paul Morris, steered me to Peet's, Arabian Moca Sunnani, it may as well be cocaine at $18 per pound.

Peet's started years ago in the Bay area, and is the organo version of the business.

Pre-Starbucks.

Does anyone know of that Ice Cream shop left over from the Hippilly Days in SF, also from that era?

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Quote by Kendrix:

--------------------------------------

What is it about Americans and their watered down coffee? IMHO- American mass market coffee ( Maxweel House, Folgers, etc.. is to "real" coffee as Budweiser/Miller is to real beer) The entire rest of the world drinks seriously strong flavorful coffee. Italy, france, turkey, Cuba come to mind. In Japan there are actually restaraunts with "coffee" and " American Coffee" on the menu's. I grind my own beans and use filtered water- big difference.

---------------------------------------

Very true, I don't how anyone can stand "Super Market Coffee" e.g. Maxwell House, etc. I believe that is a cheaper coffee in bulk, not mountain grown, beans are picked green, in a word....YUCK. Then they grind an entire pound and put it in a vacumn can. After a couple of days, its stale. Another YUCK. I use to drink that crap before I knew any better. Can you say bitter? I use to try to cover the bitterness with cream and sugar. But you can't make BAD coffee taste good anymore than you can shine shit.

Nowadays, I buy freshly roasted Gourmet coffee at my local coffee supplier that has his own roaster and only roasts so much each week. When I buy it, you can still see some of the oils coffee has when its fresh roasted. I use filtered water, and the water never touches anything but GLASS until it hits my coffee cup. No metal thermos. I store my whole beans in an air tight container, grind it fresh every morning, heat the water in a glass tea pot, brew it in a French Press. Pour it into a glass lined Kraft. Let it stand a few minutes. Absolutely DELICIOUS.

Sound like a lot of trouble? I takes a few minutes longer than a drip coffee maker, but like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put in.

Bottoms up, :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The watered down beer comment reminds of the saying an Aussie friend of mine related:

American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's f@#king close to water.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by ryst:

I'm 27 and I never had a cup of coffee in my whole life. What's the big deal with coffee? It seems that some people can't live without it. Is it worse than a cocaine habit? What's wrong with you coffee drinkers?????

:eek:

I'm lucky, 'cause there's a small coffee house a few minutes' walk from my house that has its own onsite roaster. They're coffee is really, really good.

Starbucks moved in a few blocks away and he was afraid they might sink him. Then they put in another Starbucks just a block away. He hired a marketing guy not long out of college who did a classic analysis and said, look, you've got hand picked beans and your own roaster. Put some of your beans out on display next to some of their beans. He did, the Starbucks were shriveled and dull looking, his were beautiful. The local paper did a David-vs-Goliath piece on him and his business is apparently better than ever. A couple years ago Peet's went in a few blocks away, close to the first starbucks, but he's still holding his own. (There's a few patisseries with their own spro-blowers, too, as well as Italian. This place is lousy with coffee. And 'baja fish taco' take-outs... man, how many baja fish taco franchises can America support?)

Quote by Dannyelmis:

The watered down beer comment reminds of the saying an Aussie friend of mine related:

American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's f@#king close to water.

No body in the US that knows anything about beer drinks any of that "commercial" beer made by the corporate brewers. There are TONS of Micro Brews by small brewers, and almost any import you can think of available for those that want REAL beer. Budweiser is for red necks, drug store cowboys, and people that just don't know any better. :bor:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I haven't drank in about 11 years, but before that I pretty much lived on beer. I've drank beer across Europe, used to always drive back from Mexico with the legal limit of beer for every passenger in the car, spent many a cherished hour in microbreweries from San Diego to Seattle -- but I have to stick up for Budweiser. It's thin, to be sure, by classic standards, as are most American pilsners and lagers, but the rice in it gives it a fairly distinctive quality that I've never tasted in another beer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll generally prefer something like a Bohemia or a Negra Modelo, but I gotta stick up for my ol' bar buddy, Bud.

I roast my own beans, then grind and brew it myself. Usually no more than 3 or 4 6 oz cups a day (about two mugs worth). I've gotta take issue with the 'darker is better' comments. Beyond a certain point, you're tasting the roast, not the beans. Starbucks (or Charbuck$ as they're known in home coffee roasting circles) overroasts everything, which enables them to use cheaper beans because you can't taste anything but the burnt sugar in the roast. Espresso is not a roast, it's a method of brewing coffee (steam and water under pressure through packed, very finely ground coffee beans).

Coffee obsessive? Not me! Now where did I put those green aged Sumatra Lintong beans?

GeorgeVW:

I agree about Starbucks over roasting everything. I never cared much for their coffee, it tastes bitter was well as "over cooked". I don't care for really dark beans either. I love Jamacian Blue Mountain blend (can't afford the 100% BM blend) Guatemalana, well as Sumatra beans. Each of them has its own unique flavor. Kudos GeorgeVW for being obsessed even more than me; I don't roast my own beans, yet. :)

Mike T.

I had one cup of coffee. Actually, I don't think I ever finished the cup. Just don't like the taste.

And yeah, a lot of places outside the U.S. seem to have much stronger coffee.

To MikeT:

I drink Chase&Sanborn brand. I find it richer than Maxwell House, Folger's and the rest. And cheaper in some places. If I'm going to pay a lot for coffee, I'll buy Chock Full O' Nuts, or have my brother order some Gevalia for me. I really don't go much for "gourmet" coffees, except for Kona. Damn! I remember when Denny's used to have Kona as their regular brew.

Anyway, I too, use filtered water, and perhaps more grounds than the coffee brand suggests. But, I like my coffee strong as well. Just not the heart-exploding, eye-popping strong you get at Starbuck's. And yes, their's IS pretty bitter.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, last night on the way home from running errands, I stopped into my favorite coffee shop downtown. I inquired about the Gevalia Costa Rican Peaberry and got several blank stares. Not encouraging. They did, however, say that they'd mention it to the owner (who does all the purchasing) as their curiosity had been piqued as well.

So, in the meantime, I settled for a half-pound of Tanzania Peaberry (dark). It was the best cup o'Joe I've had in about a week. :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

Real kona is the best coffee on the planet. Most kona we get stateside is blended, but its still good. My brother lives in Kihei, when he comes will bring me a bag, Damn is that stuff good. I do like a good dark roast, but I prefer saving that for when I have cappucino.

In the latest, national geographic they had a big coffee write up. Which I skimmed through, two things I noted were they said that coffee can improve a persons cognition, and secondly that most gourmet coffee's aren't as caffienated as maxwell house.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Great link, GG! Well, that explains the dumbfounded looks I received last night.

How much do I love my coffee? Do I really want to have it shipped to me? Could I use a new coffee maker?

The answers to these questions and more on the next episode of Caffeine Tuesday night at 8 - 7 Central. Only on Discovery Channel...

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

Not everyone likes coffee, some find the taste a bit abrassive. This is a sign of a poorly brewed coffee. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the coffee chain Tim Horton's (Canada and NE United States) but they are a great example of the LCD of coffee lovers. It's rare that I'll subject myself to coffee from that crowd.Cheers!

Spencer

Tim Horton's- the anti coffee coffee house. I totally agree with Spencer on this one. Canadians love this chain of "coffee" joints. To me, it is the epitome of settling for mediocrity. Their coffee lacks the most important part of what makes a coffee...coffee. The edge. Their stuff might as well be hot chocolate.

They are the Milli Vanilli of coffee shops.

There is no substitute.

I started drinking coffee at the age of 3. :P I used to steal a sip from my mom's cup ever chance I could. I moved on to my dad's espresso soon after, and never looked back. My mom would tell me, "it will stunt your growth." :D Thankfully it did...I am 6'2", both my parents are in the 5'7" range.

As for coffee addiction... I think it is mostly pshycological. If you are prone to addictions, then your are prone. I am not in any way. I can go weeks without a cup, or drink a pot in one afternoon. I do not feel any common effects, sleeplessness, nervousness.... I just love the taste.

That is why I just don't get the folks who say "don't talk to me before I finish my first cup in the morning." Please.

Life is too short for cheap coffee.... No Folgers Tim Horton's, or Maxwell House ever!!!

:wave:

There is no substitute.

I guess the best comparison to make here, is that Tim Horton's is Canada's equivilant to Dunkin' Donuts. Tim's started as a doughnut chain, but evolved into the slop jockey that it is now. Don't get me wrong, "TiHo's" doughnuts and other sweet treats are still yummy. But the coffee isn't nearly up to snuff for its baffling popularity.

Cheers!

Spencer

Whitefang:

I never tried Chase&Sanborn. I don't buy pre ground coffee, even if its vacumn packed. It takes me weeks to drink a pound of coffee so I grind it fresh every morning.

Kona is another good one, a few people mentioned it as a top of the line brew. You can get good coffee from a drip coffee maker, but its biggest enemy is the paper filter a lot of them use. It filters oils and some of the "good stuff" out of gourmet coffee, so I've been using a french press for years. I can even make coffee if there's a power failure. I have a gas stove and can heat water. A french press is just a glorified flask with a strainer and a lid on it, so I'm good to go. Oh, I have a hand grinder too. Got to have that coffee every morning, electricity or not. :)

Mike T.

Archived