Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

somebody help me please

I have been getting intermittent(SP?) loud pops and crackles in my system. I believe it to be electrical pops and clicks. sometimes they get very loud (clipping level) for about 30 seconds and then fade until its clear again. if you have headphones on while it happens it can seriously hurt your ears. right now i am just running all the equipment into a power strip and then into a 3 prong ground plug into a 2 prong outlet. would a surge protector or ups help? the power strip says surge protection on it. any help?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surge protectors usually have a component in them that is designed to either trip or pop before the voltages can get high enough to damage the gear that is plugged into them. Unless they also offer EMI and RFI filtering, they, in and of themselves, will not do anything to stop electrical line-borne noise interference. A good surge protector with good EMI / RFI filtering is never a bad idea.

I doubt a UPS would help you with your problem, although they can be useful for other things.

You mentioned your 3 prong / 2 prong setup. Is the wall outlet only 2 prong? If not, ditch the ground lift adapter and plug the plug into the grounded outlet. If the outlet is only 2 prong, getting an electrician out to replace the outlets with 3 prong outlets is a VERY good idea. And if that's out of the question, at least make sure the tab on the 3 prong adapter is wired to a good earth ground. Safety first - when in doubt about anything electrical, call in a pro.

Where's question was what first came to my mind - is it a digital system? It could very well be a word clock issue if you have two digital devices interconnected, but without knowing more detail about your system, it's impossible for us to really help you very much. :)

Thanks for all the responses.

It is layla interface into a pc. I have a mackie 16 board.

I suppose it could be the layla or computer....but how would I determine which?

Yes its just a 2 prong. I've done carpentry/electrical work before so I could run a ground to the box in the basement and throw a three prong in there. I thought that the 3 prong adapter where you ground to the screw would be enough.

You mentioned something about a conditioner or filter? What are they?

Also, (sorry), could it be some interference?

I've posted a file in mp3 that i've turned down in volume quite a bit of the noise and how it fades out if this might help.

http://www.tophatrecords.com/fuzz.mp3

Archived