Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig, How many programs do you really use???

After reading many an article in all the recording mags and one of your books, I am just curious how many programs you use for the most part? It seems like you know the ins and outs of everything from DP to Sonar to Logic to Garageband. I know that is part of your duty when serving the audio community to know as much as possible but do you actually have a mac and pc side by side and transfer files from program to program until you are satisfied? just curious..........

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have a set of "core" programs that I use in my day to day music and video projects that I know really well. But even there, I use quite a few for 1) their different attributes and 2) to keep abreast of what they do because in order to write effectively, I need to know what's going on out there.

Also, when I write, I try to spread around screen shots among various programs to be as fair as possible.

As to Mac and PC, yes, they're side by side. I usually don't transfer files between the two, generally if I start a project on one platform it will finish on that platform. There have been a few exceptions, like Sonar <> DP transfers via OMF, but that's rare.

I must say it is a bit of a chore to keep up with everything, so I don't. Mitch is a Pro Tools expert and John Krogh is an ace with Logic, so I don't really feel a need to be proficient in those programs. Also, although I use the Mac quite a bit, Mitch and John are more Mac guys, so most of the articles you see from me relate to Windows programs.

Archived