Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTU Traveler - this excites me...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw it at AES, and it rocks. It does what the "big" interfaces do, but takes up a lot less space, of course. Unless you want to use a "stealth mixer interface" like the Mackie Onyx, I bet you'd dig the Traveler.

I was thinking about the MOTU 828mkII.

But this is VERY, VERY sexy! 4 pres AND 192khz AND sp/dif, plus, $100 off DP(upgrade from Audiodesk) if you want to go that way, etc, etc.

:love:

Let's see ... Imac G5, MOTU Traveler, DP 4.5 and round it out with NI complete. Man, I need to score about 5 large somehow!

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus ®:

It looks like a fantastic interface at that price. Man, I've been looking to upgrade my interface for over a year now. I'm still suffering from "too-many-options/indecisiveness" syndrome.

Does MOTU play nice with PC's now?

I sure hope so! I was very turned off by MOTU after some 2408 craziness. My M-Audio Delta 1010 kicked the 2408 and 1224 around the room. Great sounding converters on the M-Audio.

I'm just assuming that enough time has passed for bugs to shake out of the current slew of chips... The 192 converters should be rock solid at the slow 44.1 I'll be using.

...Steve>>>

stevet@arsdivina.com

http://www.arsdivina.com/

I have the MOTU 828 MKII. I'm using Windows XP Pro on my PC. I've used this setup for more than a year now. I can attest to the product, it's been very reliable. When I use it, I hardly notice it's there, and that's the way it should be.

The only thing wrong with it is that the LCD lights burnt out about a half a year ago, but i was too lazy to send the product back.

I wouldn't hesitate buying the new Portable. Just make sure you have a good brand name firewire card. Motu should have the specs about the firewire card on their site or something.

lavi.

Originally posted by Sylver:

I was thinking about the MOTU 828mkII.

But this is VERY, VERY sexy! 4 pres AND 192khz AND sp/dif, plus, $100 off DP(upgrade from Audiodesk) if you want to go that way, etc, etc.

:love:

Let's see ... Imac G5, MOTU Traveler, DP 4.5 and round it out with NI complete. Man, I need to score about 5 large somehow!

Yeah. I bought an 828mkII last year and I really like it -- but it would have been really nice to have the option of battery or even FW power (but, seriously, I think the battery pack would be the only sensible way to do a location session unless you had a laptop battery the size of a breadbox. (Don't make me explain what a breadbox is, ok?)

Anyhow, extra mic ins and everything, it looks like the few compromises are outweighed by the big increase in flexibility in power/portability in an already pretty flexible unit.

Yeah, I don't ever see myself using the Firewire bus power.

One nice feature is the flexible DC input barrel connector. Practically any old wall wart you have around will power this piece. It has to be that flexible due to the variety of 1394 Bus Power sources...

...Steve>>>

stevet@arsdivina.com

Originally posted by Sylver:

Why wouldn't you use firewire for Power? Would you be using it for mostly location work? I would think that in the studio most people would just power it from the firewire and save the cable and outlet.

The Traveler will primarily be for my notebook computer (Dell XPS) that has a 4 Wire (not 6 wire with power) Firewire interface. Hence, no bus power available.

From the desktop computer (my mastering rig) I could use the buspower, but I have read of problems with hot swapping powered Firewire. If you do use bus power, make sure everything is off when you plug it all in, then turn on the devices.

Bus powering is a feature (for me) that is an edge case...

...Steve>>>

stevet@arsdivina.com

Archived