Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I can remember when every rock band in existence was a "jamband"

I'm not saying they were all good jambands... :rolleyes:

But there was a time when the first generation San Francisco bands (Airplane, Dead, Quicksilver, Big Brother) were the cutting edge of rock. Then Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience came across the big pond and took things to yet another level...

So from 1968 through about 1971, pretty much every rock band in existence would have a jam section in most of their songs. It was just the accepted thing. Even the first Chicago album had a long live jam on it... Even the first Creedence album... :eek: even Grand Funk, no less... Vanilla Fudge... Iron Buttefly... the mind boggles, and the list goes on...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, the jam sections been replaced by the rockstar breakdown, featuring the singer sniveling about how miserable his life is or how much of a b***ch his girlfriend is. Really sad, isn't it.

Personally, I'm a fan of the breakdown / reconstruct, where all the instruments fall out save for the piano or rhythm guitar or percussion, then it slowly builds back up. Still practiced by the Allmans, as well as, surprisingly, a lot of latin and house music, like Masters At Work. The cool thing about it is, when they finally get back up to the original energy level, it feels like its louder than it was before. Cool.

Originally posted by dj jud:

Sorry, the jam sections been replaced by the rockstar breakdown, featuring the singer sniveling about how miserable his life is or how much of a b***ch his girlfriend is. Really sad, isn't it.

"Despite all my rage I am still just in rat in a CAAAAAAAAAGE"

"This is how you remind me of what I really am"

That kind of Rockstar breakdown?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Sorry to get kind of OT. There was a time when every band had a "jam" section, or a "freakout" section for the acid droppers. That kinda evolved into a solo portion that was perfected by groups like Santana and the Allmans. Let's go deeper into this. Does anyone think the jam section was a response to the prevailing cultural climate. I mean, AM radio at the time played polite music. If you were a band like Chicago, obviously you could make a polite pop song. But you would add a freaky jam section for the album, and for the FM heads. I've heard about this secondhand, as I was a wee little one in '68. But the old heads at places like WEBN in Cincy would talk about it in the 1980's before Clear Channel took over. Given the climate of today, what would be the equivalent. Record scratching sections seem to be the modern day answer - to let the hip-hop heads know that the artists really are on the down-low. But it's obviously not as cool, in my mind.

Archived