Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Card Question

I am getting a new computer(desktop-haven't decided on what features)in a few weeks. I have some confusion over the sound card. I should know this, but somehow I'ver been able to quite grasp this one issue.

I've been using a Tascam 428 interface for a couple of years now and have been pretty happy with it. Now does the Tascam handle the duties normally done by the sound card? Digital I/O, signal quality etc..? Or does the interal sound card still have a role in the signal path?

I'm asking 'cause I would want to buy a better sound card if one is needed.

Thanks

Ed

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That device is sufficient for both midi and audio. If you plan on building a computer look at motherboards without an onboard soundcard. Most consumer computers will already have a soundcard attached to the motherboard.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by DWBass:

That device is sufficient for both midi and audio. If you plan on building a computer look at motherboards without an onboard soundcard. Most consumer computers will already have a soundcard attached to the motherboard.

Hmmmmmm, I'm not quite sure I understand why you say this. If a motherboard already has the soundcard circuitry built-in, you don't have to purchase another one for basic computer sound.

When you get a better audio/MIDI interface, the two should be able to work together just fine. I feel pretty sure that, if you want to, you can disable the soundcard circuitry on the motherboard.

Perhaps what you're implying, DWBass, is that the soundcard circuitry on many motherboards doesn't compare to a stand-alone (internal or external) device. I agree.

But I don't think there is any problem purchasing a motherboard that happens to have basic soundcard capabilities built-in other than redundancy when you purchase a better board.

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I use a FW410 for real work and the onboard sound when I'm out and about. XP can set up the drivers so that the FW is the primary driver/interface, thereby using it whenever it is connected and automatically reverting to onboard sound when the FW is removed.

If you've got a desktop, you can simply disable the onboard device and never have to use it (until you take 20 seconds re enable it.)

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived