Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig - best resource for learning Project5?

I've looked at the Project5.com site. Ok. The forum is really weak, also. I could use more in-depth info on P5. Especially on DS864. I'd like to use it as a serious soft sampler, but the intuitive mousing-around route is not getting me very far.

Any suggestions for resources? Books? Websites?

Thanx

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the manual cover to cover - it's pretty short, and I have kept it on the desk since starting to use P5 on a regular basis.

Mostly, I have used the synths as plugins in Sonar, but lately I have been creating grooves in P5.

The modular nature doesn't seem as understandable as, for example, Reason, but it has as much power, flexibility, and usefulness.

I learned a lot from the demos included. Not all of them were my cup of tea, but opening one, changing something in every track, using different drum sounds, poking at a feature and asking "why did he use this?" taught me many things. Then, start your own simple project and apply each and every feature until you understand what it did and why it did it, then start over. The controls are pretty simpleto understand after you use each one once or twice.

Yeah, I've read the manual, too. The section on DS864 is only 2.5 pages which is really thin for what's supposed to be a pretty full-service soft sampler.

My current problem is in using Velocity. When I add a sample layer, the sample name shows up fine in the Sample Layers Inspector, however, I can't change any of the 3 parameters that appear to the right of the sample name:

v:lo

v:hi

Gain

If I click on them (or right click or any damn click) nothing happens.

Anyway, I could use a deeper resource.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived