Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why are modern computers so boring?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think they're boring enough. I can't think of any studio equipment that's more unreliable than a computer.

1) They're boring because we're old farts.

2) They're locked up tight as a drum. If we're talking Windows, that's especially true. If we're talking MacOS, that's somewhat true.

If the tinkering of your atari or amiga is what you miss, pick up an old clunker somewhere (so as to not disrupt your DAW for petey sakes) and check out any one (or more) of the following:

www.freebsd.org

www.netbsd.org

www.debian.org

www.slackware.org

www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Computers are fun again.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

1) They're boring because we're old farts.

2) They're locked up tight as a drum. If we're talking Windows, that's especially true. If we're talking MacOS, that's somewhat true.

If the tinkering of your atari or amiga is what you miss, pick up an old clunker somewhere (so as to not disrupt your DAW for petey sakes) and check out any one (or more) of the following:

www.freebsd.org

www.netbsd.org

www.debian.org

www.slackware.org

www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Computers are fun again.

Wow, cool links! Thanks! :)

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

Ijust can't get excited about them any more, like I could back when you could still get an Atari or an Amiga! ;)

Actually for geeky nostalgia - there's Steem Engine - an Atari emulator that runs on Linux or Windows

Tim\'s Atari midi world has collected orphan software projects at his site. He recently posted on KVR-VST -pointers on getting old Atari sequencers working with softsynths

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I don't think they're boring enough. I can't think of any studio equipment that's more unreliable than a computer.

You don't own a 20 year old Studer. My 2 inch is like a British sports car it always needs something minor thing done to it. When was the last time you had to do an alignment o to your Computer.

Computers are becoming nothing more than just another "home appliance"...like your toaster or your microwave or anything else around the house.

Actually...as Ken suggests...I would like them to become even MORE boring...

...so much so, that using them would ALWAYS be an uneventful experience...and that they just do what they are supposed to, and not be a focal point of frustration most of the time...when you expect on them to perform, flawlessly.

Just like a toaster...

...you put the bread in, and out comes perfect toast as per your settings...every time.

Imagine if you had to reconfigure/troubleshoot your toaster 3-of-of-5 times that you used it!!!

Hellthe only time I really notice a computer anymoreis when the damn thing is not working like it should!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

They're boring because you've been immersed into computer technology. It takes a lot more to make you salivate now versus 25 yrs ago.

Computers still have the same allure they did from inception. You've evolved.

Give your computer to someone who's never owned/used one and see what happens...

Ijust can't get excited about them any more, like I could back when you could still get an Atari or an Amiga! ;)

If your bored then you should try rolling yer own box if you haven't all ready. There are a ton of options for cases, etc,. these days. I have an ultra small form factor PC that's the size of a toaster that works as a media center. Cool beans.

Originally posted by Dilligan:

If your bored then you should try rolling yer own box if you haven't all ready. There are a ton of options for cases, etc,. these days. I have an ultra small form factor PC that's the size of a toaster that works as a media center. Cool beans.
That actually does sound like fun, i've thought of doing that :)

Heaven knows i have lots of old parts and software lying around...

Originally posted by ptuzer:

You don't own a 20 year old Studer. My 2 inch is like a British sports car it always needs something minor thing done to it. When was the last time you had to do an alignment o to your Computer.
:D Uh, I dunno, but my wheezy Akai MG1214 is almost 20 years old and I've had far less problems and headaches with it overall than with two computers that I've owned, and that's not even a high-end analog machine!!!!

:D Uh, I dunno, but my wheezy Akai MG1214 is almost 20 years old and I've had far less problems and headaches with it overall than with two computers that I've owned, and that's not even a high-end analog machine!!!!

God, those things were awesome. I had the rackmount version. Akai was really happening back then.

Are they still making tapes for those?

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

God, those things were awesome. I had the rackmount version. Akai was really happening back then.

Are they still making tapes for those?

I think they're really great. The rackmount versions were especially good because you wouldn't have to put up with those awful mixing boards. Yes, believe or not, they still make tapes for those things, although they're not very easy to get. You can order them directly from Akai, but I doubt that very many stores sell them anymore. I also see them sold on EBay.

I have an Apogee Rosetta 800, a very nice converter, and most people who record in my studio - myself included - still think that the Akai sounds better. If people really wanted to, they could buy a bunch of tapes, and go out and buy an Akai MG1214 for about US$200 and have a really good sounding system for cheap. Make sure you're near a technician who knows how to work on those things, though, if you choose to do this!

I still use the Akai, and plan on basically running the dark thing into the ground. I purchased it in 1989 used, and it's still going... :D

Archived