Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jobs in Music Film/TV going away

Docbop

Since there is a bunch of Music biz threads going on I thought this is related seeing how Film/TV composer and related work jobs are going away.   Anne-Kathrin Dern is a composter in LA I've been watching her YT's for years, she has a lot of good videos on music theory,  composing, and gear. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Docbop said:

Since there is a bunch of Music biz threads going on I thought this is related seeing how Film/TV composer and related work jobs are going away.   Anne-Kathrin Dern is a composter in LA I've been watching her YT's for years, she has a lot of good videos on music theory,  composing, and gear.

Not to point fingers, but by using sample libraries extensively, composers/producers like her contributed to the plight of human players. Sample an orchestral musician once, and you've taken away 99% of the need to hire him going forward. This is the same fear actors in the strike she mentioned had over their deepfake "digital replica".

Writers in the strike also feared LLMs trained on their screenplays will spit out scripts one dime a dozen. And the same thing is already starting to happen to music composition and production.

But "the creatives" I knew all proudly claimed "A.I. can never become creative", when I told them what's coming in 2015. Heck, even at this very moment, there's still no shortage of folks who believe in that self-soothing delusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AROIOS said:

Not to point fingers, but by using sample libraries extensively, composers/producers like her contributed to the plight of human players. Sample an orchestral musician once, and you've taken away 99% of the need to hire him going forward. This is the same fear actors in the strike she mentioned had over their deepfake "digital replica".

She works like everyone does most of the use of sample libraries is for making the composer cue mockups they send to directors for approval.  Then once film editing and other changes are done then they move to studio and record the soundtrack with real musicians.   Now some films are trying to save money and only recording major parts with live musicians and other smaller parts using the samples.   It's all driven by the film director and the budget he has.    So don't blame her for how the film industry works. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

59 minutes ago, Docbop said:

...So don't blame her for how the film industry works. 

1 hour ago, AROIOS said:

Not to point fingers...

1) there wasn't any "blaming"; 2) only big productions use real orchestra these days, and films aren't the only place such economics apply, most games use sample libraries to various degrees; 3) your line of (needless) defense is no different from "don't blame the doctors in Auschwitz for how the system works"