Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano Textbooks

I'm looking for textbooks relating to  aspects of piano technique, methods and the like.  I have a couple of  books by Tobias Mathay,  but would like some more. Amazon is littered  with offerings of varying reviews, but I am sure members here have experience with some good sources.  I have most of the books of drills  (the hits) Hanon Schmitt Czerny, etc.,  but am interested in publications with more ideas, discussion, and explanation.   I am working to get my classical chops up again and return to a teacher,  but there is little point in engaging one, until I do a lot of work before hand.  Cheers Mike

• Like 1

My recommendations: The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine - the definitive book of modern popular music and harmony theory.

Fundamentals of Piano Technique - The Russian Method by Leon and Olga Conus - a thorough book on piano playing technique and mechanics.

Either one will give you a lot to work on.

• Thanks 1

Have you worked on Dohnanyi Essential Finger Exercises.  Maybe you can find some examples to see if that is something you would want to invest time before any purchase.  I think DB has also worked on these ... if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you haven't already, I suggest you check out Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.  It is sort of a Zen And The Art of Piano Playing kind of a book - how we fool ourselves with our thinking, how that holds back our piano playing, and how to seek effortless mastery in our playing. 

• Thanks 1