Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How is your keyboard connected to your mixer?

10 hours ago, Moonglow said:

I use two keyboards, as well. I run the left and right outputs from each keyboard into the corresponding L/R inputs on channels 1 and 2 of a Radial Key Largo mixer. I run the L/R XLR main outputs of the mixer to FOH and the L/R quarter-inch monitor outputs of the mixer to a pair of old EV or JBL powered speakers. When running mono, it’s basically half of the preceding connections, and of course, only one powered speaker.

My rig is similar, though I usually run in mono.  For single-keyboard gigs, I'll used one of the channels on my old, Radial Pro D2 - which, oddly enough, now only has one working channel.  I then send the Thru out to my powered monitor. For two or more keyboards (kind of rare, now), I'll use my Key Largo. The Key Largo could also come in handy if I ever need a USB connection to run my MBP or iPad live.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

9 hours ago, allan_evett said:

For single-keyboard gigs, I'll used one of the channels on my old, Radial Pro D2 - which, oddly enough, now only has one working channel.  I then send the Thru out to my powered monitor.

Allan, do you notice any difference in signal strength/volume when running your keyboard in this fashion verses using the Key Largo?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Not Allan, but I'll chime in :)    For ages I used two keyboards with the KL....then when I got onto my ultra-small rig with one keyboard, I decided to get a passive stereo DI (from Samson) so that I didn't have to power up the KL.   No issues, still had good gain to the mixer with the master volume of the Nord Stage 3 about 3/4 up (I generally don't dime master volumes due to noise).    The KL had more gain on tap when I used it, for sure, but apparently I had it set where when I removed it from the equation, very little compensation was needed on the FOH mixer input gain.   Iirc I had things maybe halfway up on the channels of the KL, maybe a bit more on the master.

• Thanks 1

Passive DIs sap signal strength -- there's no getting around that.  You compensate by boosting input gain on the mixer, or similar.  I've noticed anywhere between -3dB and -6dB depending on the passive DI.

Ordinarily, this isn't a problem as most mixers can adequately compensate, but that doesn't always work out.  

My Nords don't always produce the hottest signal to being with, so I will either use a small mixer or a powered DI to get from 1/4" to XLR.  Never a problem that way.

The RCA phono inputs expect a *really* hot consumer audio signal, like a tape deck.

• Thanks 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

13 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Allan, do you notice any difference in signal strength/volume when running your keyboard in this fashion verses using the Key Largo?

43 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Not Allan, but I'll chime in :)    For ages I used two keyboards with the KL....then when I got onto my ultra-small rig with one keyboard, I decided to get a passive stereo DI (from Samson) so that I didn't have to power up the KL.   No issues, still had good gain to the mixer with the master volume of the Nord Stage 3 about 3/4 up (I generally don't dime master volumes due to noise).    The KL had more gain on tap when I used it, for sure, but apparently I had it set where when I removed it from the equation, very little compensation was needed on the FOH mixer input gain.   Iirc I had things maybe halfway up on the channels of the KL, maybe a bit more on the master.

It's been at least a year since alternating between both devices, since my previous 3x per week gig had been solely on piano - up until July 1st.  But Stokely's experience appears to track similarly to mine: The KL does have more gain available when needed. Though knowledgeable FOH engineers have never had a problem compensating for any output differences the Pro D2 may have presented; and my powered monitor has no trouble with that either*.

I'm planning to take the KL out again, once I get back into some kind of stage gig.  My new accompanying gig is Sunday mornings only, so that frees up Saturdays for band gigging again.

* Added thought.

• Thanks 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

What cphollis says is true about passive DIs vs a powered mixer, thinking back a bit--there was a drop-off.   I think I had my NS3 at just over halfway up before, now it's at 3 o clock.  Because of that, our soundguy didn't adjust my input gain, I don't think.  Anyway, worth double-checking the mixer when you make the change!

Some keyboards have more output than others, that's for sure.  My modx is the lowest I've ever used, but it worked fine.   It would be at 3 o clock on the volume and the Nord at 11, and they'd be similar volumes with everything else the same.   Summit, the opposite--it was quite a bit hotter than the NS3.

Live rig is two Nord Stage 3’s stacked, which I run stereo directly into the line ins of a Yamaha MG mixer mounted on a pedal board using 1/4 inch cables. Mixer’s XLR outs run stereo to FOH.

If the band’s using in ears, I use the headphone out of the Yamaha to feed a small Rolls mixer so I can add an aux signal from FOH to monitor vocals mixed with my keys. If not using in ears, then the 1/4 inch outs of the Yamaha mixer feed a pair of small wedge monitors behind me.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.