Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Complexity at the price of musicality?

6 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

...Is there bias created by personality, looks, backstory?...

I'm almost certain a lot of the visceral reactions against Beato stem from the non-verbal cues he displays.

I believe Collier is a savant. Clearly spectrum and hears at a level so much deeper than most, certainly more than anyone else I've seen mentioned in this thread.  I don't always like his performances, but I respect his depth and find him much more intriguing than the numerous "shredders" cited.  I can't stand listening to Rudess. He is imho all craft and no art.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In response to the "can't stand his voice" comments: that's his normal voice - he sings like he speaks. John Lennon was the same. 

By contrast I get turned off by singers who add affectation and mannerisms to their voices (see "cursive singing").

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stoken6 said:

In response to the "can't stand his voice" comments: that's his normal voice - he sings like he speaks. John Lennon was the same. 

By contrast I get turned off by singers who add affectation and mannerisms to their voices (see "cursive singing").

I have friends who hate Country twang and yodel, and friends who hate the raspy Rock vocals. I have no problem with either but can't stand Geddy Lee 😆

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, AROIOS said:

You spoke my mind.

same.  definitely talented but rarely reaching to play his music.  A bit too processed for me, doesn't scratch any itch.
His looks are fine, pretty average for the age group he's in.  Quirky fashion harms absolutely nobody.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

same.  definitely talented but rarely reaching to play his music.  A bit too processed for me, doesn't scratch any itch...

Yup, I loved his early Gospel Jazz re-arrangements and had high expectations for what was to come, but never heard anything nearly as touching once he stopped channeling Take 6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:48 PM, Tusker said:

That's a very helpful clarification. 👏 I'll keep the original post to embarrass myself, with its inaccuracy. Thank you. 👍

You're most welcome! Nothing embarrassing — it was commonly attributed to Bach until not too long ago. I merely happened to look it up a little while ago because I teach the piece regularly and now make a point of attributing it correctly to make up for centuries of incorrect credit. 🙂 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

15 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Yup, I loved his early Gospel Jazz re-arrangements and had high expectations for what was to come, but never heard anything nearly as touching once he stopped channeling Take 6.

Oh, the first Djesse album has a uniquely haunting vibe to it that simultaneously draws me in and puts me off. I think I really like it. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio