Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Mixer Questions

My first question is if I had a mixer with 24 channels of TDIF and a audio interface with 24 channels of TDIF would cubase and my mixer be linked up. What I mean is in cubase, when i put a kick drum on track one, will the kick be running through the mixer where i can adjust the fader and panning ect.

Also it comes with 16 inserts. Does this mean, if cubase and the mixer is linked up, that I can use outboard gear to effect the internal sounds i load into cubase? Like could I use an outboard compressor on the kick drum i mentioned in my first question?

If you guys could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hip Hop is Future. Every generation breeds a new musical style and like it or not, Hip Hop is now.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fluxONE:

[QB]My first question is if I had a mixer with 24 channels of TDIF and a audio interface with 24 channels of TDIF would cubase and my mixer be linked up. What I mean is in cubase, when i put a kick drum on track one, will the kick be running through the mixer where i can adjust the fader and panning ect??

- This wouldn't happen automatically. Most Digital mixers would come with a Remote layer that would give limited control of certain paramters seen in popular DAW's. So you could load a Cubase/ Nuendo/ Logic setting on the mixer and then you'd be able to handle things like fader control, pan, solo from the mixer itself. The O1V 96 has all this under the "Remote layer" option. It's bound to be labelled or categorized differently on on other digital consoles

Also it comes with 16 inserts. Does this mean, if cubase and the mixer is linked up, that I can use outboard gear to effect the internal sounds i load into cubase? Like could I use an outboard compressor on the kick drum i mentioned in my first question?

- If your playing back tracks from Cubase through the Mixer, then you could patch in some Dynamic Processing via the Inserts on the respective channels. Essentially you'd then make a 2 track mix from your console onto say a DAT Recorder. Or you could route a 2 track mix via on of the avaialable buss outs back into Cubase.

Hope this helps

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Hey Flux...

Sure, you could route the audio tracks from Cubase to the channels of your digital mixer... it's just going to depend on how you set up the routing. But what you're asking for is easily accomplished with most boards.

However, do not expect the board's faders to automatically control the on screen faders in Cubase. If your board offers a DAW control layer, the faders can serve "double duty" and control both the audio levels on the board, as well as act as a fader control surface for the on screen faders in Cubase. You usually have to hit some sort of a "layer" button on the digital board to switch between those two functions. What board are you considering?

I do something very similar where I feed two ADAT light pipe outputs from the CreamWare PowerPulsar into a Panasonic DA7. They come up as inputs 17-32 and I sometimes premix within the DAW, so these essentially become "stems." This was very important to me when Sonar didn't have per channel EQ as I would use the DA7's EQ. With the Sonitus FX that's less of an issue, although I still think the DA7 EQs sound really, really sweet and they're my EQ of choice for anything involving high frequencies.

The DA7 also has a MIDI layer for controlling faders, signal processors, etc. The main reason I use the DA7 faders is to have a bit more of a "live performance," fader-slamming vibe to the mix. Also, unlike some control surfaces, the DA7 faders have 1024 steps from full off to full on, so they sound really, really smooth.

Archived