Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tascam DM-24 Digital Mixer Questions

My first question is if I had the Tascam DM-24 mixer and a audio interface with 24 channels of TDIF would cubase and my mixer be linked up. What I mean is in cubase, when i put a kick drum on track one, will the kick be running through the mixer where i can adjust the fader and panning ect.

Also it comes with 16 inserts. Does this mean, if cubase and the mixer is linked up, that I can use outboard gear to effect the internal sounds i load into cubase? Like could I use an outboard compressor on the kick drum i mentioned in my first question?

If you guys could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hip Hop is Future. Every generation breeds a new musical style and like it or not, Hip Hop is now.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fluxONE:

My first question is if I had the Tascam DM-24 mixer and a audio interface with 24 channels of TDIF would cubase and my mixer be linked up. What I mean is in cubase, when i put a kick drum on track one, will the kick be running through the mixer where i can adjust the fader and panning ect.

you will need an interface with MIDI capability. You can link/control cubase via the DM-24 using MTc to sync. Thjere are snapshot templates for the DM-24 you can download here tascam . Using an interface you will still have to route the tracks to the corresponding DM-24 tracks. So yes aftetr routing your tracks your kick will be on channel one in the cpu and the DM-24.

Also it comes with 16 inserts. Does this mean, if cubase and the mixer is linked up, that I can use outboard gear to effect the internal sounds i load into cubase? Like could I use an outboard compressor on the kick drum i mentioned in my first question?

Yes and no. You can use the onboard compressors/eq/gates/fx on the sound passing through the mixer only. It will not effect the sound in cubase unless you record the effected signal back into the computer. What you can do, which works really nicely, is use the cpu like a tape deck. Record your tracks into cubase, route to the mixer, and using hte onboard plugins you can send processed sounds to the mixer, while also using the mixer's dynamics/eq processors in tandem. This gives your cpu more 'horsepower' cuz it isn't doing all the work, and you get a VARIETY of sounds in your mix. Have fun, zeronyne has a post about a local music store selling the mixers for under agrand a piece. ;)

If you guys could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Archived