Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G5...2.0 or 2.5???

I am in a bit of a state of confusion....I ordered a 2.5gig G5 in August. I recieved an email that says I should receive my computer on 9/13. Then I received an email last night letting me know they have pushed the date back to 9/22. I have been studying this and it seems that there are people (according the Apple.com's forums) that have had their shipping date revised several times and some are claiming they ordered their G5 in June and won't get it until October(due to changing shipping dates)! So I was wanting to know what you guys would do here. Wait another 9 days to see if it will start shipping and stick with it no matter how many times they change the date? Or would you cancel the order and get a 2.0 G5(assuming these are your only 2 options) and have it shipped within 3-5 days? I will be using DP4, Live4, tons of sound design plug-in, Final Cut Express, Photoshop Elements. I am sure a lot of my projects will be 50+ tracks with lots of plugs and virtual synths. What is your advise? Would the 2.0 be sufficient? or would the 2.5 help more in the long-run?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too ordered a 2.5.

I'm not so interested in when it comes, but that when it does, it works.

Some early 2.5s were having "respitory problems" according to Mac boards -- fan problems and the like. It seems that a batch of bad CPUs may have been the cause.

Better that the computer is delayed, and is not afflicted by some of the initial problems, then arrives on time and is not quite right.

My own judgment is to go for the 2.5, and relish the wait since a delayed computer is more apt to work.

Dooby Dooby Doo

I'd step down the processor speed and add as much ram as you can. You'll have your machine this weekend if you do, and avoid teething problems ith the cutting edge procesor. I tend to buy one step behind he curve on processors, PC's or mac, just because that is where most of the cost is usually for a negligable performance increase.

Archived