Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Behringer products good?

On 7/6/2024 at 10:05 AM, Cmaq said:

Ken, I don't know anything about this alleged lawsuit.  Without looking it up, and taking your word for it, would you say that it's possible that the company that once was has paid their restitution, the people in charge then are no longer in charge now, and they've learned and grown from their mistakes?  I'm not trying to excuse what was done, but maybe they've made amends? 

Our church has some Behringer gear, some of which was bought before I really became a part of the tech team, and I think it's really great equipment.  Even if what you say is true I can't just get rid of it, but I would like to know moving forward whether they should be supported or not.  And granted I won't base my thoughts on just your opinion, but it would be nice to know your further thoughts. 

"Lawsuits". Plural.

Sure, it's possible. Seems like the same people are in charge, though. But I don't know. Maybe they made amends. Maybe they have a better R&D department. Maybe they cover their tracks better. Or maybe they're a great company, a shining beacon of everything that is good and right in an audio company (note that I won't describe them as "pro" audio).

My thoughts? You should do what feels comfortable for you. I will not ever tell anyone what they should or should not do.

I will never purchase any of their products.  If someone gave one of their products to me, I would sell it to someone else. You read what I wrote. I don't even think their "lawsuits" were the worst part of what they seemed to do.

I really hate that I got sucked into one of these Behringer things again, but when someone says "haters gonna hate", well, no. Some of us have a good reason to think poorly of a company.

I'll leave you with this one last thing. 

Behringer tried to sue Dave Smith Instruments and 20 forum users for libel

https://www.factmag.com/2018/06/20/behringer-dave-smith-libel-case/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Solid build, decent components, interesting philosophy of “make it available to the masses”, some innovation and a ton of reverse engineering (stealing)… Yup sounds like every other aspiring global brand. The fruit company did not “invent” the graphical user interface, “they” ripped it off!

is not every single “bucket brigade” circuit a complete ripoff? 
(my ignorance may be showing a bit, apologies to those who make stuff)

good artists copy, great artists…

We have several pieces of gear such as audio patch-bays, a guitar pedal and an old “acoustics amp” and way too many BCR/BCF controllers… all decent-good gear.  As an avid Juno6 enthusiast I was and have been looking forward to getting a deepmind 12 and honestly think that Roland would NOT have created the JunoX without the shot across the bow.

So, the gear is what it is, the lawsuits are what they are. Good gear, questionable origin story and standard business practices of suing everyone… IMHO, good luck finding a “clean” company which hasn't done something shady to get where it is…

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 1

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

4 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

The fruit company did not “invent” the graphical user interface, “they” ripped it off!

No, they bought it. Apple purchased the rights to the graphical interface from its developer Xerox, who had no plans for its application.

• Like 3
Scott Fraser

I bought a Behringer US-600 Ultra Shifter/Harmonist.   It is a Boss PS-5.   I think it was around 2012 and I needed to cover the harmony lead part of Lady Antebellum’s Downtown.  It was for only one song so I cheaped out and got the Behringer. 

I felt kind of dirty but it was for only one song.   For what it’s worth the pedal with its cheap chassis/case worked great.   The construction isn’t an issue because the pedal is board mounted and operated with a switcher.  

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don’t have enough gig experience to advise the OP with sound systems…

But the advice given from others on PA options is appreciated info for this cat. 

PEACE

_
_
_

OT: guess this is what thread hijacking looks like. Not intended…

3 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

…purchased the rights to the graphical interface from its developer Xerox…

Yup, while being sued… Nice…

childhood memories are foggy and cryptic at best so please accept my apologies in creating any perception of being a fruit company “detractor”. Most memories of all those dinner/cocktail parties are probably highly skewed by the only real desire which was to grab a few (glass) bottles of 7-up, disappear to the tv room and watch creature features till past midnight 👽

IMHO, suing and being sued over patent ownership is far too often, a disregard for the Community it requires to see any creation to “fruition”. I fully understand why we do it, but ownership sucks on so many levels. 

Public accounts and knowledge of GUI development did not begin nor end with Xerox or any single company.

Which is the tie-in with the uli machine. Single people creating companies driven to “do it better”, take what works (be inspired [steal] as needed), drop the rest and maybe innovate at rock bottom cost with steep profits whenever possible.

Nothing unique to painters, programmers, musicians, doing business instead of Art.

Perhaps, not a lot of “legacy” companies which sell morality, actually do it as more than a brand ideal. That said, there are a TON of great companies which have managed to not get swallowed up by the “globalist's”, and the growth of boutique music gear companies, is awesome and needs to be supported. MOTU and OBNE are two fav’s. Shameless plug of a company and products I love to purchase follows:

Sometimes a piece of gear is just a “utility”…

• Like 2

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

Dragging myself out of a few perfectly lousy days, so I honestly appreciate this discussion as a distraction. Moving on . . .

I only have 2 pieces of Behringer gear, one of which is a UB-1002 Mixer I bought back in 2005, for $68US, plus tax. I just pulled out the original receipt to double-check. I've used it extensively on my recordings, and for all of Novparolo's live shows, as well. That's nearly 20 years of solid use, with no failures, no hiccups. At the time, Mackie had already moved their production to China, so it didn't seem quite worth paying the difference for the Mackie name, and, AFAIK, this was before the series of Behringer Mixers (was it the Xenyx series?) that had deliberately ripped off some aspect of Mackie's design.

The other one is a Behringer Neutron, which is not a copy or clone of some Classic/Vintage design. I got it for myself, for my 65th birthday because it was my only affordable pathway into Modular Synthesis, and because my FLMS gave me an even better deal on the price. It does exactly what I wanted from it, and as I said, having looked extensively into the Modular world at the time, it was the only complete, entirely self-contained desktop system for under $300US.

You may notice that I make no defense of the company itself. My first notice of Behringer was back in late 80's/early 90's?, when a Music store buddy came back from NAMM with a bunch of promo literature from a new company. Every page showed a clone of some easily recognizable Boss pedal, down to the color scheme, with "This is a direct replacement for the Boss XX-yy pedal." or a wording close enough to bring down a very quick Cease-&-Desist order from Boss. At the time, my buddy and I thought it was just plain dumb, less of a marketing strategy than maybe laziness.

As it turns out, it really was a marketing strategy. See above to all the previous discussion of lawsuits past. IMHO, Behringer is the logical, if unfortunate extension of the way much of the Music Manufacturing Industry has functioned for quite some time. Any of us who remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan - there are a few of us here, right? - have lived through a whole succession of large companies gobbling up smaller companies, even claiming the rights to the use of individuals' names!?!?!

We've all seen the line questionably attributed to Hunter S. Thompson - "The Music Business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." It doesn't just apply to the Recording Industry.

• Like 4
  • Cool 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2024 at 4:49 AM, surfergirl said:

We're looking at two PA systems, Behringer and Fender. The price about the same. I'm not sure about Behringer. Either one would meet our needs.

Behringer EPS500MP3: $529.

500 watts(250x2)

8 channels

2 8" speakers

Fender audio passport S2: $500.

175 watts

5 channels 

1 5.25 woofer&2 2.75 tweeters x2

The Fender weighs 31lbs vs 41 for the Behringer, that could be a factor in our decision.

I swear by Beringher they are a good make I’ve got mixers and speakers great sound 

• Like 1