Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio in an apartment....need some advice

I am getting married in 2 weeks. My wife and I are moving into a apartment community. I will have my studio in one of the bedrooms. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on mixing with studio monitors in an apartment. Or in general, what's the minumum db level for accurate mixing? It's a sound design/fx based studio. I am not worried about recording, just mixing. the bedroom has a window in front, the living room on one side, the other bedroom on the other side, and our hallway in the back. So the only thing I am worried about is people below and above us. Any suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

85dB SPL is the max "recommended" level for extended mixing.

It's pretty loud...IMO...but not loud enough to really annoy next door neighbors... if you do a bit of soundproofing in that bedroom.

Hell...you can even go as low as 75dB SPL and still get some nice level with nearfield monitoring.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I used to have my studio set up in an apartment, and it just didn't work. Just as soon as I would get into making some music, the neighbors would start to complain, and blow the whole session, and mood. Volume levels tend to creep up. Noise will travel thru the walls floors and ceilings, and you'll get complaints from all over.

I set up a small studio in a new manufactured home, and that has worked to a point, but I still have to keep the volume levels reasonable. In other words, the 5 piece punk rock band playing at full volume didn't work. And I have to really watch my low frequency levels, as they resonate thru out and turn the manufactured home into a giant speaker. But overall, I can still get a decent volume without disturbing the neighbors, at a reasonable cost.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Just keep in mind that 60dB is the level of a typical conversation...and 70dB is noise level you have in typical automobile driving down the highway75dB is loud singingand a rock band will be around 120dB.

85 is a recommended max level for extended listening of music...but it may be too much for your apartment neighbors if the wall/ceiling/floor construction is not adequate...so, you then would need to beef that up with soundproofing...which I don't believe will be a major problem because you say you will only be mixing.

Of course...if you attempted to track a live band or even individual live instruments...well, that might be a bit too much for an apartment...

...though even that could be possible up to a point...requiring more dramatic soundproofing...maybe even a room-within-a-room.

If you can monitor at the same levels that a home stereo system would output...I think with some soundproofing...you should be OK. Get a meterturn on your stereo system so that you feel its loud enough for you but that it would not annoy someone on the other side of the wallthen take a measurement with the meter

thats your reference.

Hey...make sure you schmooze the neighbors and keep a tab on your levels.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

Hey...make sure you schmooze the neighbors and keep a tab on your levels.

A very good tip. Let the neighbors know what you will be doing and find the best times to cause them the least disturbance. They may be more tolerant if they know you care.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I have the same problem but I do little tracking there. I use headphones a lot. Put your monitors on stands and put the stands on iso pads as well as the monitors it helps decouple them and cuts down on the low end traveling through the building. I burn a lot of test mixes and go to the car.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Archived