Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthhead Film Composer Studio Tour

I never heard of this guy before but this interview and studio tour was really interesting to me.    I was really blown away at the end when he gets into his new DAW he's using for his HUGE 900 track film project.   Then at the very end of the video Christian Henson pops in and say all this is being run on a M2 Macbook Pro.   

• Like 3

On 1/11/2024 at 3:04 PM, Docbop said:

I never heard of this guy before but this interview and studio tour was really interesting to me.    I was really blown away at the end when he gets into his new DAW he's using for his HUGE 900 track film project.   Then at the very end of the video Christian Henson pops in and say all this is being run on a M2 Macbook Pro.   

Thanks for sharing this amazing interview. What a lovely space he has in the attic!

It's heart-wrenching to hear (and see) Andy recount the fire damage. The brief demo of his workflow in Cubase and Halion is a great endorsement of Steinberg.

Nice!!  I agree this is a great testament to Steinberg (Cubase and Halion). 

I’m reminded of Junkie XL who posted recently on his new studio after selling most of his gear.  He is also running Cubase but started over with mostly modern gear for other reasons.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/12/2024 at 1:04 AM, Docbop said:

Then at the very end of the video Christian Henson pops in and say all this is being run on a M2 Macbook Pro.

These chips are just insane for audio. I’m wondering if Logic might be even more optimized for that CPU being Apple’s own DAW. I previously used Cubase and then switched to Logic and they are vastly the same although I find it easier to work with Logic. 

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

These chips are just insane for audio. I’m wondering if Logic might be even more optimized for that CPU being Apple’s own DAW. I previously used Cubase and then switched to Logic and they are vastly the same although I find it easier to work with Logic. 

From what I've learned from a site on Apple silicon for audio  Logic and Ableton both only use the performance cores of the CPU.   So the Apple silicon chips that have more performance cores really lend themselves to doing audio.   I recently got back into audio, but learning Ableton Live for something different.   I bought a used Macbook Pro M1 Max before the M3's came out because of the number of performance cores.   Since the M3's are aren't that big a step up from the M1 and M2 used MacBooks Pros are disappearing fast. 

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:
On 1/11/2024 at 5:04 PM, Docbop said:

Then at the very end of the video Christian Henson pops in and say all this is being run on a M2 Macbook Pro.

They set the stage for their own chips when they purchased intellectual powerhouse Palo Alto Semiconductor (fabless chip design).   I met those guys prior to that when my company was in the market for a next gen high performance computing embedded system.   It has certainly paid off for them. 

• Like 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3