Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Today's project - Fishman Loudbox stand cup

I have a Fishman Loudbox Performer - 180 watts and a 3 way speaker with an 8" woofer. 

2 complete channels, you can run a mic or an acoustic electric guitar through both channels. 

There's an audio output on the back for running into a mixer or another powered speaker. 

It has a "kickstand" so you can tilt it back. 

I decided it would be more useful if I installed a metal speaker stand cup so I can raise it up off the floor.

The left side is the only option due to the locations of the 3 speakers. 

I inherited an adjustable diameter drill from my father's tool accumulation. Not something I use often but just the thing I needed. 

I got the grille off, removed the front mounted 8" speaker from the baffle, measured and cut the hole. The cabinet of the amp is made of top-notch multiple thin-ply plywood, the good stuff. I cut through the exterior vinyl and the plywood, marked and punched the location of the screw holes and used quality heavy duty screws to put the stand cup in place permanently. It works perfectly, see photo. 

Anybody else doing something useful?

IMG_1469.JPG

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

Looks good . . .

Any issues with weight imbalance? That would be my biggest concern, having the thing dive sideways towards the floor.

No, they put the transformer down on the bottom of the right side and the 8" has a big magnet so it does balance well. Plus my stand is a heavy duty one and the legs spread is wide. I set the stand up around 5' tall so it's easy to put the amp up there. I don't like stuff that falls either!!! Next move is try using my MOTU M6 as a mini mixer into the Aux In. Last but not least, I'll be keeping an eye out for an amplified 8" or 10" 2 way speaker so I can get more spread if I need it. 

There are 4 venues I am going to start playing, 1 has a a pair of JBL "poles" mounted on subwoofers with built in mixers. All I need there is a couple of my preferred mics/stands, my guitar and a a few cords. I've been offered a steady Tuesday night there, every week. The other 3 clubs don't have PA systems at all and book on a monthly basis. I just want to have some fun and make a little $$ and all of the clubs are a fairly short drive away, in different directions.

• Like 2

@KuruPrionz, It's good to see you getting gigs at the nearby clubs!  Great project!  Getting the amp/pa up off the floor on a stand really makes a big difference when it comes to using it as a PA.  I mount my EX4 Roland using it's stand mount for a guitar and mic set up.  The cabinet shape allows me to leave it on the floor and face it back as my monitor if using a house PA.  Your amp with a tilt back kick stand will allow you to do the same (if you need to)...anyway, break a leg and have some fun with playing out (solo I presume)...😎👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

1 hour ago, Larryz said:

@KuruPrionz, It's good to see you getting gigs at the nearby clubs!  Great project!  Getting the amp/pa up off the floor on a stand really makes a big difference when it comes to using it as a PA.  I mount my EX4 Roland using it's stand mount for a guitar and mic set up.  The cabinet shape allows me to leave it on the floor and face it back as my monitor if using a house PA.  Your amp with a tilt back kick stand will allow you to do the same (if you need to)...anyway, break a leg and have some fun with playing out (solo I presume)...😎👍

Thanks Larryz, yes, I plan to play solo but I want to be able to allow some other musicians to sit in since they might bring more people to the show. Also, my friend has a show on Thursdays and he turns the middle hour into an invitational open mic. I think that's a great idea, it gives other local musicians a chance to play and they also might draw more listeners. The club just wants to sell beer or wine, mostly. More listeners means more revenue, both for the club and for the performer (tips). If the listeners enjoy the music they will become regulars. It's just good business all around. 

• Like 2

Interesting.  I didn’t realize it’s 3 way.  I also didn’t realize it only has an 8.  Heck all I knew was it’s Fishman, 180 watts and sounds good.   I have one I use if I’m playing acoustic stuff and want to self monitor. Guitars, Banjo, or Dobro.   Cool. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

@KuruPrionz, +1 on hosting open mic's.  I have played many.  The host band or solo act usually opens up for the 1st 30 minutes or so and they run the PA.  Since you have a pair of JBL poles on sub woofers and only have to bring a couple of mic's, you're pretty well set up at that club to invite other musicians and run the PA. Your amp can provide a monitor for the singers which most open mic's lack and thus the performers lack doing their best job when/if they can't hear their vocals.  2 mic's can handle harmonicas, violins, singers, harmony, etc.  It will be a fun time for all and bring in some wine and beer sales for the owners.  One of the small clubs I played on a regular basis was standing room only and always packed more on open mic Thursdays than their regular big name acts on Friday nights. Looking forward to you reporting back on how it went!!! 😎:cheers:

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

1 hour ago, CEB said:

Interesting.  I didn’t realize it’s 3 way.  I also didn’t realize it only has an 8.  Heck all I knew was it’s Fishman, 180 watts and sounds good.   I have one I use if I’m playing acoustic stuff and want to self monitor. Guitars, Banjo, or Dobro.   Cool. 

Not only is it 3 way, all three speakers are cone drivers. NO HORNS!!! That's a big reason why it sounds so smooth and not harsh. The trebles are there if you tweak it but there is no "honk" at all. It's a great little amp. Note that there is a 3rd audio input AND an audio output as well as effects loops on each channel. VERY full featured goodie!

• Like 1