Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just bought a Boss ME-80 multi-effects

KuruPrionz

I haven't fired it up yet, will probably get started tomorrow. I did download the Boss manual and they have a software I can access into the ME-80 via USB. I've downloaded the relevant driver and program. 

I almost mentioned it in the Fuzz Pedal thread because it does have some fuzz options and 3 octave options - 1 octave up and 1 or 2 octaves down. There are 8 effects with complete sets of knobs to adjust them and an additional 9 that are faded in and out using the pedal. Some of these are duplicates but the pedal provides unique control of one sound at a time. Anybody else have one of these? Any cool things I should be aware of? Thanks!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Tonight I plugged it in and goofed around with it. 

As is common with multi-effects, it will make sounds that are too crazy to use for much of anything. 

That said, a more subtle approach yields lots of variations and usable tones.

Next step is to read up a bit on how to create and save presets. 

4 will probably be plenty for my needs. One clean with some reverb and a bit of subtle delay, one clean with reverb, delay and modulation (I like the "rotary speaker" sound). One with some grind and grunt, reverb and delay and one with a bit more grind and sustain (a dab of compression) and reverb/delay. 

That should cover live work. 

Recording will be a free-for-all cosmic experiment plus the 4 above. 

• Like 4

@KuruPrionz- The Factory Presets are usually nuts, designed for weekend afternoons at GC, with 5, or 10, or 15 young players all wanking away on Guitars they can't afford, at volume levels approaching the threshold of pain. Of course, that's a highly prejudiced viewpoint, but I say that as one who worked in Music Retail.

Feel free to message me with any questions about Boss MFX. Like David Byrne sang, "There's Good Points, And Bad Points." I currently have four different GT-series processors, and an ME-25, and I've dug into other models in both series, so I understand them pretty well.

One quick suggestion: IME, you can cut a LOT of noise out of the Factory Presets just by turning Off the Compressor, or at least dialing back the Level on the Compressor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

3 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

The Factory Presets are usually nuts, designed for weekend afternoons at GC, with 5, or 10, or 15 young players all wanking away on Guitars they can't afford, at volume levels approaching the threshold of pain. Of course, that's a highly prejudiced viewpoint, but I say that as one who worked in Music Retail.

:rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::roll::wall:    :laugh: :D 

One quick suggestion: IME, you can cut a LOT of noise out of the Factory Presets just by turning Off the Compressor, or at least dialing back the Level on the Compressor.

Sage and useful advice!

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@KuruPrionz- The Factory Presets are usually nuts, designed for weekend afternoons at GC, with 5, or 10, or 15 young players all wanking away on Guitars they can't afford, at volume levels approaching the threshold of pain. Of course, that's a highly prejudiced viewpoint, but I say that as one who worked in Music Retail.

Feel free to message me with any questions about Boss MFX. Like David Byrne sang, "There's Good Points, And Bad Points." I currently have four different GT-series processors, and an ME-25, and I've dug into other models in both series, so I understand them pretty well.

Thanks Winston, your willingness to share is much appreciated. I'm not a fan of heavy compression, a little goes a long way so I do keep it under control. So far, my results have been very low noise. I also tend to avoid using much of any of the pitch shifting devices, the attack seems to get pretty "blatty" if they are turned up much and most of the time it's just not needed. 

I used to be a guitar tech for 3 music shops in Fresno. I had my own shop, that left me free to work for more than one shop. That said, I did visit the shops a couple times a week and yes, that is a corner of Hades infested by evil demonic children who thrive on creating annoyance. Somehow, our local Guitar Center is pretty civilized. I think one reason is that they have a sound proofed room in the back for potential buyers to try out gear and they do make an effort to keep the noise level down on the floor. 

• Like 4