Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Custom Keytar cutout for XKey Air

ElmerJFudd

7 minutes ago, JamPro said:

I think the keyboard is poorly oriented relative to the guitar body.  Don't you want the white side of the keyboard where the deep guitar body cut-out is (i.e. black keys on the L side; white keys on the R side)? 

do you see it as being held with the keys upside down?  that didn’t even occur to me. 

it does look like you play this rock style with the strap down at your knees. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have 3 XKeys because they serve my rickety hands beautifully. They're a bit like musical typewriters in one sense, but OTOH, they do Poly AT credibly. They're like a small, portable secret weapon that can fill in for bigger options and pull it off.

However... trying to play one in keytar form is a possible sign of a braIn lesion. I'd love to have that as wall art if the XKey was truly dead, but trying to use it live would deservedly bring on the kissy-sucky noises flung at anyone who isn't Jan or Herbie.

Of course, it can be done if you're creatively weird enough. Jim Gilmour of SAGA had a rack full of XKey 25s when they first appeared. The mind boggles a bit at the required routing. Still, synthesis isn't just about the instruments; its also about custom stands, wiring kludges and similar forms of madness. You can trust me about the madness part. I haven't been right since I hurtled over my handlebars and punched out a mailbox with my forehead. 🤬 

• Haha 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

On 11/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, JamPro said:

I think the keyboard is poorly oriented relative to the guitar body.  Don't you want the white side of the keyboard where the deep guitar body cut-out is (i.e. black keys on the L side; white keys on the R side)? 

The strap should be at the ends of the keyboard so the keyboard can be adjusted further over to the guitar body. As shown the keyboard placement accommodates balance of weight when the keyboard is added to that particular guitar design with the strap attached to the headstock end of the neck. It might look weirder to the audience but at least it is sort of a silhouette / shadow in effect which lessens the odd displacement when it pivots.