Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Surprise from Hammond! New M-Solo

Hi, fellow forumites!    Look at what just appeared as an upcoming instrument on the Hammond website

https://hammondorganco.com/msolo

Looks like the compact multl-engine market is heating up yet again!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

And the most amazing thing?  It is apparently going to be available in Burgandy!    I love that color as a stage option!

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

We have a third contender! "Surprise from Hammond" is a late entry to this race, but already performing strongly in its distinctive burgundy kit. Of course, this plucky underdog has a long way to go to catch the two front-runners, but these threads are notorious for their tricky twists and turns. Stay tuned...

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 2

On a more serious note -- the idea of adding a synth to an organ board is a *really* good one. I just feel Hammond hasn't really gone far enough. Adding the monosynth from the SK pro (use the drawbars to control), together with pitch/mod wheels and a mono/portamento mode, would make much more sense for me than a string machine patch.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

If you are thinking of better ideas, I wonder why they chose 70's strings? Why not chose strings from all strings? Going by what I saw in the video. There could be others.

Looking at this design I suspect that someone at Hammond may have come across one of the original Yamaha SK series from the 80's.  These were Yamaha's Organ/Polysynth/80's string machine keyboards and were actually one of the last keyboards that Yamaha released before the advent of the DX7 (or MIDI).   They were amazingly good sounding for the time and very in step with the music of the time period.  

I think the MSOLO seems patterned after it. but I also think that if it has proper pitch/modulation options and extensive enough controls for the polysynth then this is a viable option for many keyboardists, particularly jazzers.