Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi switcher/program changes gadget for quick changes onstage live

6 hours ago, cassdad said:

Yes, sir.  No additional hardware needed.  Just open any song in forScore, then click on the upper middle section (where the name is), go to "MIDI", and hit the + (plus) sign.  You then have the choice of adding just about anything, including Program changes.

I was just playing with this.  Very cool.  Maybe even cooler is that you can go the other way, so that when you send a program change from a controller it will automatically open up the appropriate score in forScore!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

That sounds cool but how do I get the MIDI program change data to actually change a program on a hardware synth? I assume I need some kind of MIDI interface for the iPad?

Yes - apologies, I thought you already had that setup.  It depends on what you want to “drive” with MIDI.  If it’s a modern keyboard, all that is needed is a cable connected to the “out” of the iPad / tablet to the USB “In” of the keyboard, then set the keyboard to send / receive MIDI via USB.  I use a simple cable like this (USB “C” onto my iPad to USB “B” to my Yamaha keyboard):  https://www.amazon.com/MeloAudio-Controller-Interface-Electronic-Instrument/dp/B08JYH26TP/ref=asc_df_B08JYH26TP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475864050416&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10852647000673430113&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031561&hvtargid=pla-1144910500990&psc=1

If you want to use the old standard MIDI DIN cables, then yes, I have a simple MIDI “dongle” like this:

https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=asc_df_B00CO5IRSG/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=417001568156&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11637030784190632895&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031561&hvtargid=pla-383381923843&ref=&adgrpid=93357003545&th=1 

that transmits the MIDI signal (2 ways) between the computer / iPad and the controlled device (keyboard or other).

I’ve also read that you can do it wirelessly via the appropriate wireless MIDI transmitters/receivers on each end, but I have no need to even try that, so haven’t.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

13 hours ago, obxa said:

Stage 2ex both 88 and compact 73- I've used the Ext for ipad/Mainstage, but didn't know it could echo prgr changes???  Can the Stage2??? That would be awesome.   

Not exactly “echo”, but you can configure program X to send Program Change Y on its External sections when it is selected. So send PC X to your Nord, get PC Y out of it.

This does require you to configure all your programs in your Nord to send out corresponding program changes. It’s not simply an echo.

Cheers, Mike

• Thanks 1