Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Need networking expertise please

Some switches do, some do not....it depends on the make/model. A switch is more like a mini router than anything else. Intelligent port delivery, where as a hub just lets all traffic bounce to all ports, and the NIC is responsible for grabbing what it is looking for.

Either way, try it. Can;t hurt. You may not need a x-over. You can always just clip and terminated one end at x-over.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Routers like the one I mentioned earlier also function as a switch. the befsr41 has 4 ports for the inside network and 1 (wan) on the outside. There's also 8+1 port versions.

I cut/pasted this bit from the connection setup poster so you can get an idea of how it's done:

http://tanx0r.org/cable.jpg

To setup internet connection using network address translation read the next bit:

Let's take it you will be using an internal network address range of 192.168.1.x with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 (using the default subnetmask for this network range). Using these settings allows you to connect a maximum of 253 computers (this should really be enough).

The router (and dhcp server) will be using 192.168.1.1 as its IP address.

Set the IP address on all workstations to automatically detect (use the router's dhcp server). This will cause the router to assign ip addresses, gateway addresses and dns address settings to your computers automatically.

Set the server IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnetmask 255.255.255.0. Set the server's primary gateway address to 192.168.1.1 (yes that's the router's address). Set the server's dns addresses to those specified by your ISP.

You do not want the server to run a dhcp server of its own by the way. If your server is a domain controller it will probably be running its own DNS server though, for the local network addresses.

Voila, there's your home/small business network in a nutshell.

Edit: Typos

Stirring shit up since 1968

Solved. Bought a router (couldn't wait) and everything purrs. Thanks everyone! The only problem I have now is that one of our 7 computers (a laptop) will still access the network, but not the internet. All others are perfect. Maybe I just have a bad card/bad drivers - unfortunately the card is internal. Pings the router fine, but no internet.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

What OS?

Make sure that It's getting the DNS server address automatically.

NYC Drew

Windows 2000. It will ping fine, it's set DHCP exactly the same as the others. There is a twin laptop that also connects fine. Now that I remember, this is an ongoing issue with this laptop (used to have to use dual static IP's when we had our ISDN line because it wouldn't find both under DHCP). When I go back in to work on Tuesday maybe I'll try a traceroute. It has also recently been formatted, clean booted, service packed, and everything else.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

1. DOS prompt

2. type "ipconfig /all"

3. check and see if the DNS servers info is the same on your other W2k/XP machines.

4. Any software (is Zone Alarms?) that would interfere with outgoing traffic?

No sort of firewall/security software installed. I've already checked ipconfig - everything's fine there. Broken.

Look at your proxy settings in internet explorer. If this was a work computer, it was probably pointed at either a proxy or filter. Turn of, and set it to 'automatically detect'.

Also, try my web site by ip address 204.39.124.2

If it shows up, it is a DNS problem.

In the router, make sure it is set to hand out enough DHCP addresses for your network. It might be set to say 5 addresses, and the laptop is the first one.

If it has dual network cards, there should be one TCP/IP binding in the network control panel for each of them. make sure they are both set to DHCP.

If none of this works, uninstall the NIC driver, including the TCP/IP stack from network control panel, run Nortons' Utils and clean the thing up, reboot, and reinstall the NIC and TCP/IP. If there is a network client installed, uninstall them. It will bark at you that you hav eno client, do you want to continue, answer yes. You can run the machine with only TCP/IP and the NIC drivers for testing. Add the client after you get it working again.

Actually, I can't even get to Dean's IP address from the computer I'm using right now! Invalid test, or maybe you're just trying to throw me off the track. ;)

Originally posted by deanmass:

It appears my silly web server has crashed. GRRR

Try this one

204.39.0.151 says "No site configured at this address."

204.39.0.153 seems to have nothing.

How about posting the results from the "ipconfig /all" request?

NYC Drew

Good idea, I'll do that Tuesday - I'm taking the day off tomorrow!

Well, while I was away yesterday, EVERY computer started having the same problem. I went in early this morning and checked things out. First thing was updating the firmware in the router. Then for some reason the router wouldn't reset. I left it unplugged for a few minutes, then again tried to reset. Finally reset. Then I fired up the server and workstations and BLAMMO! Everything finally fricking works! Thanks everyone for all your help.

Archived