Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My G5 is not recognizing my 2nd internal HD

Actually it is recognizing it intermittently. Frequently when I first start up my G5 my second hard drive (Maxtor-internal ATA) does not show up on the desktop. If I restart the computer a second time, the second hard drive then appears on the desktop (after restarting). What would cause this? Any suggestions? I already checked the cables, and they are all tightly connected. I had this HD for a week or so with no problems, only recently has this started happening.

OSX 10.3

I have no homepage.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...I had an ATA hard drive in my old Linux workstation that had the same issue. It was the boot drive, and when I would first power it on it would just sit there after the POST, with a blinking cursor. Then, I would give it a ctrl-alt-delete to warm-boot it, and it was fine.

It was either a Maxtor or a WD - but that leads me to believe that it's something about the drive itself.

Originally posted by surfmonkey:

Actually it is recognizing it intermittently. Frequently when I first start up my G5 my second hard drive (Maxtor-internal ATA) does not show up on the desktop. If I restart the computer a second time, the second hard drive then appears on the desktop (after restarting). What would cause this? Any suggestions? I already checked the cables, and they are all tightly connected. I had this HD for a week or so with no problems, only recently has this started happening.

OSX 10.3

I had a problem with one of my SATA Drives, my computer was not recognizing it sometimes, I have to reboot and it'll stay for a while, but then dissapeared.....I sent the the HD back, NegEgg sent me a new one....Problem solved.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Get a Windows machine, they have much less problems.

:D:D:D

Just kidding, it seems that every time a Windows user post a question some Mac fan offers this helpful advice.

Anyway, check the jumper settings, try different cables and then try a different drive. I had a similar problem with a computer in the office and a new IDE cable solved it.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Sorry, but 2nd harddrives are not officially supported until you purchase the next revision (Tiger) for $129

:D

No WAIT!! Lemme try that again:

Apple computers don't NEED a second harddrive to put out the impression that they've got lots of storage. Actually, since Apple Innovated UNIX Underpinnings, you only need 5Gb of space to hold the operating system and all those lickable brushed steel, aqua and classic widgets all jumbled together in accordance with Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

:P

Er.. hang on, i can do better, i think...

All those WIN-TEL PEE CEEZ need more than one drive, because they need places to store those extra MHZ... Since 1mhz on a Mac is equivalent to 4mhz on a WIN-TEL PEE CEE, you can clearly see why Mac users are much more intelligent, artistic and sophisticated than anyone who spent a weeks beer money on a trailer-trash DELL...

:wave:

(Edited for Editing Purposes)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Phaeton...Why??? Why, every single time??? Please stop.

Well, it's not every single time is it? I was just having a lil fun, but if it really irks you, i'll quit now.

Hope you figure it out, and if you were more close i'd take you out for a beer or something.

If it makes you feel any better, since i use neither Windows nor a Mac, i am a lightning rod to both camps. Guess i felt i could take a license.

Sorry man, don't let me get under your skin. :)

WWND?

P.S., it sounds like a dying hdd (or hdd controller) to me, but check out what deanmass has for sure.

I don't have a lot of time to put into it, but if i come across something i'll be sure to blow it yoru way.

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Er.. hang on, i can do better, i think...

All those WIN-TEL PEE CEEZ need more than one drive, because they need places to store those extra MHZ...

PEE CEEZ R FEE CEEZ

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• 4 weeks later...
Well Maxtor sent me a new HD which had the same problem so I took the computer to my local Apple store. They ran a diagnostics check on it and decided the power cable wasn't seated correctly on the logic board. Anyway, when I got home I re-installed my Maxtor HD and now the computer boots up onto a solid grey screen and freezes from there. If I re-boot it seems to boot up OK although it does give me that file with a blinking question mark logo for a second or to. Why would a second HD cause this to happen? Help.
I have no homepage.

Archived