Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expand iPad screen.

Need the wisdom of the Board !

I have the DGX-670 with a 12.9 iPad using Songbook+.    

I have the iPad and the DGX connected to an adapter plugged to a power source , this gives me the Songbook+ functionality with the DGX which is what I am after.

The problem I am having, is with the small 12.9 viewing area of the iPad.   I would purchase a large monitor if I knew how to insert the signal between the iPad and the monitor ?  So what I am after is whatever the iPad  (using Songbook+) is showing, it would also be showing on the large monitor.

Can this be done ?  please provide info on adapters needed.

RonP

12.9” is just about a sheet of paper, and about as good as it gets in tablets.  They are pricey at that size, I use an 11, but I can relate to wanting a larger screen for reading music.  The problem with most monitors (16:9) is they are not in a standard paper size ratio. So even if you go sideways to portrait you aren’t gaining much, or making use of the extra screen space.  The iPad uses a 4:3 aspect ratio because it offers better browsing in both portrait and landscape positions, while a 16:9 screen is either too wide or too narrow.  

I am on the hunt for a 4:3 monitor that supports flipping into portrait mode that the iPad can cast to.  So far no luck...  But if we find one and it has a VESA mount, you can put it on an arm and adjust it to be exactly where you'd like it to be.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Apple provides a tool in iPad OS 16.2 on M1 and M2 iPads to deal with how your screen and apps are visualized on an external monitor called Stage Manager.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213405

Apparently you can use Stage Manager in Portrait mode.   But again, the iPad is 4:3 aspect ratio, so where to find a monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio so you can use the entire screen to display your sheet music at full size without wasted space?  

13 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I am on the hunt for a 4:3 monitor...

Secondhand 1600x1200 monitor: 20in or 22in, 4:3 aspect ratio (close to Letter/8.5x11). I scored one for £90 a few years ago (for a different purpose). 

...that supports flipping into portrait mode...

Surely that's a function of the device driving the display? I've used the above monitor in portrait mode (from a Windows PC)

that the iPad can cast to

Official Apple HDMI adapter and HDMI-to-DVI cable (to support older monitors)? This I haven't tried.

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Secondhand 1600x1200 monitor: 20in or 22in, 4:3 aspect ratio (close to Letter/8.5x11). I scored one for £90 a few years ago (for a different purpose). 

Surely that's a function of the device driving the display? I've used the above monitor in portrait mode (from a Windows PC)

Official Apple HDMI adapter and HDMI-to-DVI cable (to support older monitors)? This I haven't tried.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes.  Easy to find used 4:3 monitor.  One with HDMI. 🤔 

3 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I can confirm HDMI-DVI works from PC. I haven't tried it with the Apple adapter.

Cheers, Mike.

I also have an old DVI LCD 4:3 monitor laying around. It’s bigger than a 12.9” iPad but not by much.  I wonder if its resolution and sharpness are decent for reading music.   I have to give it a try.  

Yes. I believe portrait flip happens at the iPad. 

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I also have an old DVI LCD 4:3 monitor laying around. It’s bigger than a 12.9” iPad but not by much.  I wonder if its resolution and sharpness are decent for reading music.   I have to give it a try.  

For the cost of the adapter/cable, I'd say it's worth a shot?

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

I know this is about SongBook but my software unrealBook has always had VGA output with rotation. So you could put a large monitor, rotate the image and fill the large monitor in "portrait" mode. Some of my users use that along with WiFi attached iPads for Karaoke and other uses.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

If you're running Stage Manager, I bet you could figure out something useful to do with the "wasted" space that isn't taken up by the sheet music. For example, you could fit a Sports widget down there so you can play a gig while keeping track of the latest baseball game.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

On 6/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, Dr Mike Metlay said:

If you're running Stage Manager, I bet you could figure out something useful to do with the "wasted" space that isn't taken up by the sheet music. For example, you could fit a Sports widget down there so you can play a gig while keeping track of the latest baseball game.

mike

:) 

it’s not so much the wasted space as not having enough width to actually make the sheet larger for viewing even though you have wasted screen real estate.