Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Reason Why Some YouTube Instructional Videos Drive Me Nuts

Just saw a video on YouTube where the person who claims to be the only professional mastering engineer on YouTube (hello, I've mastered hundreds of tracks and have a YouTube channel) says that True Peak doesn't matter, so he turns off True Peak limiting.

Seriously?!?

• First, you don't have to use limiting to hit True Peak specs (e.g., for a streaming service like Spotify). You can hit true peak specs by adjusting level - no limiting required.
  • Second, of course you won't hear any difference if you go over true peak while mastering. Your digital audio editor has massive amounts of headroom. True peak matters only when encoding audio into a lossy format.
  • Third, and most importantly, you CAN hear the difference that staying under true peak makes with a lossy-encoded signal. Well, maybe this guy couldn't, he says he likes to master loud :facepalm:  Exceeding true peak adds a subtle background fuzziness. If you stay under true peak, it goes away.

I really need to start my "No Fancy Logo Recording Tips" series. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anderton said:

really need to start my "No Fancy Logo Recording Tips" series

Eh, wake me up when you can tell us how to get fat chord packs with dope chord progressions to take my tracks to the next level, all for a low monthly subscription fee. 

The wonderful thing about YouTube is that everyone can have a channel.

The horrible thing about YouTube is that everyone can have a channel.

:D 

• Haha 1