Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It is Native Instruments upgrade time.

RABid

13 hours ago, RABid said:

The big aggravation is NI no longer offers a hard drive install option. Download only, and the collector's version is almost 1TB. The problem is magnified by the fact that if you buy a new computer you cannot just copy the install from the old computer. If you do the Native Access install and licensing program does not recognize them as valid installs. You have to download and install everything from scratch. On a rural DSL like I have that can take a month.

I am glad to have now 1 Gbps optic fiber Internet access at home. This is one thing Spain has pretty good in lots of its territory, not just big cities. And NI servers are quite fast, which helps also. I did my full Komplete 13 CE install in an afternoon. Lately I have deleted some unused items 😬

• Like 1

I did the deed, got Ultimate.  It's one year later than I intended to, but that's ok.

I don't install everything.  For one thing, I have no idea how to use the content in those expansions--they seem like a sprawling collection of loops and samples, maybe I'm missing out.   To paraphrase Jaws, we're gonna need a bigger hard drive (if I install everything) :)  

I did grab what I think are the Massive X expansions (the smaller ones with names like "Drive").  I need to give this synth some more time.  I tend to do more vintage-y stuff and for that I am more than happy with u-he (Repro-1 in particular, which I hadn't used all that much until recently, is outstanding.)

Once again, I have a 25-dollar voucher and it's even harder than before to find something I 1) don't already have and 2) qualifies.  I don't think I used the last one.

23 hours ago, bill5 said:

Excuse a quick sidetrack but do you like the Arturia? 

Hello Bill,   I really enjoy it. in particular, I find the action decent and for recording it is wonderful having the transport controls right on the board. I am also able to adjust track levels with the sliders- (although I still need to learn how to adjust the master fader).

When using Arturia sounds, you can do patch changes with the board- I am sure I can assign midi controllers to work with other features as well.

Holy crap, just started playing around yesterday with some of the new (to me) toys.  Session guitar Electric Mint blew me away.  I haven't even messed with articulations, or patterns, and don't have a working pitch wheel on my controller so I'm not close to fooling anyone with the playing.  The ability to "dig in" is really there, and the aftertouch gives a nice subtle wobble by default.  It's just instantly playable.

Here's a very quick Steve Morse-ish/Eric Johnson (without all the chops!) ditty I whipped up rapidly to test out some sounds.

Disregard the single drum loop playing over and over, it was just to keep some time and a basic feel.  The bass is also Komplete, the MM scarbee bass.

I did use s-gear on the intro clean sound as I preferred its clean amp sim to the ones I browsed in the plugin.  The crunchier tones are all right from the plugin.  There's a bit of valhalla supermassive and delay on a couple tracks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RABid said:

It has been one week since I purchased it. Installing everything in Collectors edition on a new computer. I'm to the "N"'s. That is the approximate half way point. That is downloading day and night. The Arturia collection is next.

So the new CE is $899, and $245 every time you update.  That's not bad for what you get.   I upgraded to Ultimate 14 from Standard 12.   I noticed that CE offers many full versions of orchestra instruments whereas Ultimate doesn't.   Maybe next time I will upgrade to CE.   Right now, their servers are slow with all the promo going on.

I think I will get Standard sometime this month for the $199 (as I had select 13). 

I had been considering spending $900 and getting the Kontrol S88 which through June includes Standard as well.

However, while in NYC i went down to GC and tried the action, and thought it was very stiff, it was borderline Korg SP280 to me.  I heard the Arturia MK88 II uses the same fatar action, but I don't rememebr the Arturia being that heavy.

Instead I'll connect my P125 when I want to use 88 with my Mac. 

OT slightly- this was the same GC I mentioned earlier that doesn't like its customers and turns NONE of its keyboards on.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, Stokely said:

Holy crap, just started playing around yesterday with some of the new (to me) toys.  Session guitar Electric Mint blew me away.  I haven't even messed with articulations, or patterns, and don't have a working pitch wheel on my controller so I'm not close to fooling anyone with the playing.  The ability to "dig in" is really there, and the aftertouch gives a nice subtle wobble by default.  It's just instantly playable.

Here's a very quick Steve Morse-ish/Eric Johnson (without all the chops!) ditty I whipped up rapidly to test out some sounds.

Disregard the single drum loop playing over and over, it was just to keep some time and a basic feel.  The bass is also Komplete, the MM scarbee bass.

I did use s-gear on the intro clean sound as I preferred its clean amp sim to the ones I browsed in the plugin.  The crunchier tones are all right from the plugin.  There's a bit of valhalla supermassive and delay on a couple tracks.

I hate you. You know why? Because you're way more talented than me. :)  This reminds me of those demos I see online of some guy demo-ing a keyboard and he's just messing around and I think "that's better than anything I'll ever play." sigh

On 5/30/2023 at 3:42 AM, RABid said:

the collector's version is almost 1TB. The problem is magnified by the fact that if you buy a new computer you cannot just copy the install from the old computer. If you do the Native Access install and licensing program does not recognize them as valid installs. You have to download and install everything from scratch. On a rural DSL like I have that can take a month.

This is not my experience. I just fresh install Native Access on the new computer. I just login and it uses your logged in account info to tell you what software is registered and, I then just go through all the libraries and locate the new directory path. I've done this more than once. To have to re download 1TB every time would not be acceptable.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.