Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Softube's Model 80 - Prophet 5 Emulation

I inadvertently ended up owning a pair of Prophet-600s at one point and bought a pair of Tetras to play as a single synth later on. I was well pleased by the enjoyable synth muscle, no question.

I've never made a bee-line for a software Prophet, though and this thread had me wondering why. I think its because I became such a Korg fiend at a certain crossover point in my synth history. By then, I basically understood filters, so with halfway decent waveforms and focused EQing, I could build the poly of my choice. Any decent workstation can (mostly) be induced to emulate its competitors.

That doesn't mean I don't love the base tone of any Prophet, because I do. After all, it bears Dave's fingerprints and his ear for design was Moog-like. I also reaped ample goodness from stacking 2 Prophets. The sheer Bigness defies words after a bit.  

While I applaud the option of added modules in the Model 80, I can hand myself a full platter by stacking two synths in Logic. Its fake modular for people like me who can't quite give up the ROMpler teat.

• Like 1

I have no magic powers concerning dentistry or cases involving probate, but my Mellotron epics set Jupiter a-quiver.