Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NI Komplete Kontrol price drop

ElmerJFudd

NI is cleaning inventory this spring with a $200- $150 price drop on the Komplete Kontrol-ers (S88, S61, S49).  The S61 is now $599.00.  

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-s49-s61/

I got to play one at GC recently and was surprised by the feel of the semi-weight keyboard action (with aftertouch).  It's sort of DX7ish under the fingers.  Build quality is pretty decent.  Other pros on this line are the large screens, integration with DAWs and library perusal/selection integration with NI instruments (and others that support the nks format).  Unfortunately you can't just navigate Logic/Mainstage instruments in the same way.  It does have 5 pin midi in addition to USB. Sustain and expression pedal inputs as well.  

On the downside, everything is with the knobs.  It does not have 9 faders/drawbars.  But it does have a very clean and spacious top where one could simply mount a fader or slider box.  Arturia Keylab 61 mkII ($549.99)  includes 9 faders, but annoyingly places them on the right.  Novation SL61 mkIII ($749.99) places 8 faders off center right.  

Does the price reduction suggest a Komplete Kontrol S61 mk3 is on the way?

If so, It would be nice to see the new model include a row of faders and an audio interface.  

Thoughts, experiences with these three 61 key controllers?  

This fellow does a simple overview… 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I had an S61 Mk2 which I sold. Though it was an alright semi weighted keyboard, I found the hollow plastic sound  of the front panel when pushing the buttons got to me eventually. It must be me, because it's one of the reasons I originally upgraded my MODX8 to a Montage. (I have an affinity for solid metal construction) 😀

The other reason is, I found I wasn't really using the display functions, as I just found it easier to use my NI software on the computer, which had a higher res monitor. I was drawn in by the kewl color displays, but they are a bit low res and grainy, and a lot of the time when using most of my other plugins in my DAW, it would be disabled anyway.

I guess what I'm saying, is it wasn't for me. I'm sure it is the right choice for many folk😄

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I own a SL61 MKII that I got in a trade with another forum member. I am very pleased with it, use it as a top keyboard over a Studiologic SL 73 Studio, obviously all sounds via USB from laptop computer.

No complaints from me, I don't need sliders as I play organ from organs.  ;)

• Like 1
:nopity:

6 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

I own a SL61 MKII that I got in a trade with another forum member. I am very pleased with it, use it as a top keyboard over a Studiologic SL 73 Studio, obviously all sounds via USB from laptop computer.

No complaints from me, I don't need sliders as I play organ from organs.  ;)

Interesting - are you using these two controllers to play MainStage?  Or Cantabile on PC?  

32 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

I had an S61 Mk2 which I sold. Though it was an alright semi weighted keyboard, I found the hollow plastic sound  of the front panel when pushing the buttons got to me eventually. It must be me, because it's one of the reasons I originally upgraded my MODX8 to a Montage. (I have an affinity for solid metal construction) 😀

The other reason is, I found I wasn't really using the display functions, as I just found it easier to use my NI software on the computer, which had a higher res monitor. I was drawn in by the kewl color displays, but they are a bit low res and grainy, and a lot of the time when using most of my other plugins in my DAW, it would be disabled anyway.

I guess what I'm saying, is it wasn't for me. I'm sure it is the right choice for many folk😄

Big price gap between Montage and S61! :) 

Yes, many people do find they prefer the computer keyboard and trackpad or mouse to any control surface.  Typically after buying one! :D 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Interesting - are you using these two controllers to play MainStage?  Or Cantabile on PC?  

neither currently, although I have used Cantabile.  Mostly NI Kontakt for lower, I use it like rack mounted equipment in "the old days".  Keep everything on mute and just hit the solo button for

whatever I want , Rhodes, Wurli, AP, sometimes pads, whether that be choirs, strings, or synths.  Upper is a bit more challenging. I open everything stand alone and switch back and forth.  I only do

simple setups. I don't do splits and layers, I won't do horn parts.  

Those situations requires someone else. I'm perectly fine with that. Were I not in my 60's I would still work with a Hammond B3/A100, Hohner Clavinet, and a Wurlitzer 200. Those days are over for me. 

• Like 1
:nopity:

I see the NI Kontrol as a money sink unless you’re using it EXACTLY like they intend, which is 99% of the time not what you want. If you ever plan on leaving the NI ecosystem live, you’re hosed for the LEDs and front panel. Mainstage? Camelot? Gig Performer? Nope.

otherwise, you’re paying workstation prices for a mid-grade controller and a very meager set of controls. Might as well get an Arturia Keylab for 75% the price and way more controls.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I just bought an Arturia Keylab 61 from SW (since it is their keyboard month) and I don’t find the right side faders distracting. In fact the build quality is quite good and the metal frame adds to the substantial feel. Faders, encoders, and pads are quality items, the keys feel firm and playable, and the only negative is that my Yammie FC-7 won’t play nice with it, so I subbed my Moog and all is right with the world.

The big plus is the software suite that comes with registering it. I planned on using it just for B3X on my iPad, but I may turn the corner and go with my laptop just for the variety of 6500 sounds….

Sorry to go off topic.

Jake

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"