Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha DM3 Standard and Dante, Compact 22 Channel Digital Mixer

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting announcement, as I watch this space.  It looks that they're aiming for a modern, all-in-one mixing console with an integrated screen for control.  Nice packaging, etc. but the MAP of $1999 is steep for what you get.

It looks like they are doing something similar to QSC trying to exploit the gap between Behringer's X32 Rack and X32 consoles which you see everywhere.  But the X32 architecture gets you much more bang for the buck: more inputs, more outputs, more busses, more control surfaces, more networking and so on.  Notice there is no app being offered at this time.

Time will tell if this turns out to be popular, or not.  Even with my penchant for nicely packaged (and expensive) gear, I'd pass on this one.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Makes a lot of sense inside Yamaha’s product line. They have stage boxes already. They have PA speakers that have Dante inputs. Someone could use this and have a fully digital PA running at 96K (the benefit is low latency, not higher Nyquist cutoff).  For “nice band equipment” money. 

UI looks nice.  Basics are simple, which is good.  They clearly see it going into install spaces - that is a huge market. Way bigger than musician market. I suspect they will do well with it, though few will be in bars and clubs. 

The x32 has the benefit that every live sound mixer has used it. Totally the McDonalds of digital mix. But you have to spend double to get better workflow, and more capability. And few NEED that capability. The Allen& Heat SQ series is a great example of what’s right above the x32, but it is 2x price. The x32, despite its many limitations is very hard to beat. And used market exists to further drop price. 

I think the Presonus Studio Live models similarly send Yamaha and others back to the drawing board.  The DM3 I’d definitely compact.  I don’t need the dante version, but if going into hall, theater, church, etc.  yeah, it’s going to cost a bit more. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560