Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand for Travel

EricBarker

I'm looking for a standing-height stand that can break down small enough to fit in a 24"x16" suitcase. I'm looking at the "On-Stage KS7350 Z-stand", which I've been eyeballing anyway, and folds up fairly tight. But it seems like folded up it's around 27in long. If I could pull apart the Top/Bottom telescoping sections, it would be about 22in long, but often times the design doesn't allow that.

Anyone have the stand and could get me info? Otherwise, any other options?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

If that exact suitcase isn't a hard requirement, on the rare occasions when I need to bring a keyboard stand in checked baggage, I like an On-Stage KS7150 in a Pelican Air 1615.  Combined weight about 34lbs, and plenty of room left over for clothes/whatever (or an On-Stage X-bench, but it sounds like you won't need one of those).  

I have a KS7350 at home I can break down and measure.  I'll be back on Sunday.  Send me a PM or tag me in this thread and remind me if you haven't figured it out by then.

• Like 1

One of my bandmates found a stand for me to use on the other end. So I won’t be taking one now. I still ordered the 7350 because I could use a good Z-stand. Once I get it I can experiment to see if I can break it down further. For future travel.

I did find a giant suitcase for $170 that would work, too, that’s not oversized.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I wanted to post this because it could be of some help to a future scrud. I found that the 7350 fits just fine in a mid-sized checked luggage bag! You just have to put the struts diagonal. There’s an enough room left to stuff in a half weeks worth of clothing and maybe some pedals.

For reference this case is 24in long, which is the main standard for checked rolly bags.

28D050CD-85D9-44C1-87C6-E56CAF6F5D4A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I can't make sense of that - it hurts my eyes! How does that become a keyboard stand?

Cheers, Mike.

🤣 I hear ya! The OnStage KS7350 Z-stand screws apart for shipping and transport. The "Zs" fold down into long straight pieces. Originally it comes in an "H" arrangement, with the folded Zs bolted to the central cross piece. But if you remove the Zs, you can just lay them diagonally inside the case. If you have it in front of you, it becomes a lot more straightforward and easy to get your head around. It would take only about 3 minutes to put back together, though.

I will say, OnStage made one really dumb design decision. The knobs that adjust the Z height are enormous, and prevent the Zs from completely folding flat, when put on. However, for travel you can completely remove these knobs, but you wouldn't for daily drive gigs.

The greatest 1-tier stand I ever owned was an Aluminum QuikLok stand. Light as a feather, and sturdy as F**k. I really wish I kept it, but had to sell it during a move. Every player I showed it to marveled at how light it was. All the adjustments had internal spring-loaded pins, no knobs, nothing sticking out. everything worked together. Reminded me of a Z-stand version of a Spider, but 1/4 the weight. It lasted me 7 years and hundreds of gigs without anything worse than scratched paint. Silly thing was, QuikLok in their infinite wisdom, quickly dropped the product and never made accessories for it (it could have easily had a 2nd tier attachment). Their newer Zs are heavy and cumbersome.

Now I want to see if I can buy a used one.

• Love 1