Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX8/Mainstage/Boss FS-5U - Patch Advance Issue.......

Hoping for some help here, as it's really not my area of expertise!

My son is playing a theatrical production this week.  I just bought him a Boss FS-5U to advance patches during the show, and he's having trouble getting it to work.

He's using a MODX8 strictly as a controller, with a Mainstage Concert consisting entirely of patches programmed by KeyboardTEK, rented for the production.

Everything works fine when using the MODX8 and Mainstage only.  And, the FS-5U works fine to advance the MODX's internal sounds.  However, adding the FS-5U to advance the patches in Mainstage isn't working.  My son is very tech-savvy;  we're sure he's overlooking something simple, but so far he hasn't figured it out.

Any advice?  Thanks very much!

Perhaps this won't help too much, but the first thing I would so is to setup a MIDI monitor (in Windows there is the usual MIDIOX , don't know if there is a similar thing in Mac world, but it should)

Once you figure out what is happening at the MIDI level you can have a better picture of the problem.

Jose

I think you should save a different performance with each program change you need in maistage. Then the pedal takes care of advancing to the next modx program.

Remember to enable the transmission zone (Part Settings/Zone=on, Pgm Change=on, MidiSend=on

I just ran into this recently.  I chose to use a KeyboardTek premade setup rather than build my own. But for some reason they did not include a forward button in the layout.  But they did include a backward button and auto patch advance settings (which I’m not using).  

With the highest tier of your project selected on the left (not the currently selected patch) go to the layout view and add a button to the layout if there aren’t enough buttons already in the project to assign. 

Once a button is added, you can double click it and give it a name - like “Forward” in the Screen Control Inspector.  

Switch to Edit View.  And select Assignments and Mappings.  Find the button you named.  Then click on Assign & Map.  You’re going to Override the settings. 

The Map Parameter will turn Red.  It’s listening for you to tap the pedal.  

Then in the column to the right find the  Actions folder and pick Next Patch.  It looks like a down arrow.  

Save your project.  

————-

I notice that the Boss pedal is not USB.  So someone with an MODX8 is going to have to suggest if the Yamaha can echo the button message out its USB port to the Mac.  

I’m not using a pedal but rather the lowest two keys on the piano (A1, B1 MainStage says) for patch foreword and patch backward. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560